Stretch Cruiser Fenders

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I want to replace the fenders on my stretch cruiser but having a hard time finding ones that will work on the rear. The ones I've bought have a crimp up high for frame clearance but since the frame sweeps down on this bike, it's not needed. Only need the clearance for the chain. Below is a picture showing the original fender and another picture of one of the fenders I bought that I installed on my other bike. They are made by Avenir and very nice quality. The originals are pretty crappy, especially the braces. The bike has a springer front end on it now but I'm probably going to change it to a triple tree so the front fender design isn't as important.

Can anyone point me to a quality brand that will work?

af_rearfender.jpg

630_47.jpg

I'm using the walds on my chrome stretch with no problem...

SAM_1158.jpg

Thanks, how are the quality on them? I thought about just painting mine black but the supports are so junky that they'll never stay straight. I was going to try and use the nice supports from the Avenirs but they are too wide.

Are those the Wald 962s on your stretch? I like them not having the flared ends.

Here is my bike when I got it. I've already got whitewalls on it and I'm going to paint the rims orange and use black fenders and change the crappy springer for a triple tree setup.

af_01.jpg

Ok, I ordered a set of black Wald 962s. We'll see how they fit. I'm also now thinking of getting a black springer fork. My current one has bad chrome and can't get it to sit straight.

I got the black Wald 962s today and it looks like they're going to work, with some tweaks. The rear fender is too wide where it goes between the seat stays. Before the fenders arrived, I replaced the original springer fork with a new black one. I had some problems with that fitting and I'm still not happy with the springer front end, the tire hits the fork in turns. The front fender is too wide to fit the springer, it has no reliefs in it so I'm just going to change to a triple tree.

i found it helps if the upper springer bolts where the legs connect to the spring bracket are nice and tight. I've also crank down on the spring nut, and have even shortened them in the past so they compact the spring.

Bigcam59 said:
i found it helps if the upper springer bolts where the legs connect to the spring bracket are nice and tight. I've also crank down on the spring nut, and have even shortened them in the past so they compact the spring.

Unfortunately I had to make the springer bolt longer because the new springer fork made my bike too long to fit on my bike rack. I did compress the spring when I did it but now it had a 1 inch spacer between the spring and the headset. Went on a long ride and watch the springer action. It seemed to be mostly flex in the fork itself. Others have told me that these forks aren't designed for large size adult riders of which I am one.

I removed the springer last night and started the triple tree install. Just have to decide how much rake I want before I cut down the tubes. I really wanted to like the springer as it would be different than my other bike that already has a triple tree setup.

I'm not surprised by your springer issues. I would suggest holding off untill you can find a springer from a Kustom Kruiser or something. Just keep looking in the for sale section on all the different bike forums. Place a wanted ad even. I have to KK roadsters and the springers are sweet. I had ordered a new springer for a different bike. What a piece of crap. I tried to make it work but these new springers are just too flimsy. I got rid of it right away to say the least. You could also look at Felt forks they are pretty nice. Good luck.

Back