Stretched Boardtracker, DONE!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Stretched Boardtracker, copper bars completed.

So I cut off the seat, and remounted it two inches forward, which gave me some distance to the cranks. That also leaves the BB more behind me, and while it feels fine when test riding, time will tell for longer rides. I don't think the seat placement is quite as good, as I really liked it where it was, but I'm ultimately function over form, and it was just too close to the pedals before.

Lovin this bike, has that real board tracker Harley look to it!

Now tell me to go away if you like but have you thought of mounting the pedals further forward?

If you had them say on the front of the old seat post you could probably do away with the jockey
wheel and go back to the original seat position plus I think she would ride a bit easier too.

Just a suggestion, as I said tell me to go away, your bike and I like it the way it is.

I'm dying to see a photo or vid of someone (you) sitting on it or riding it. Curious about the position. Because it looks awesome

Subscribed! I have to see this thing finished!

I like the direction yer going with the cranks so close to the rear wheel. I gotta wonder if it might be cool to push the whole rear assembly back even farther.

I didn't like the skateboard wheel as a chain guide. It doesn't fit with the older look I'm going for, so I took a small cog out of a ten speed derailleur, and worked with the bolt configuration until it lined up with the chain. It looks much better.

Then I started working on the tank. I got a short piece of 3" copper piping from work, but the space I made for a tank is about 4". So I rigged the pipe in my vice, between two pieces of plate, and started slowly squeezing it into an oval.

Then I cut it into rough shape.

I want a lot of copper on here, and then I plan on powder coating the frame cherry red. Red bike, with lots of copper touches, brown leather seat and other pieces, and cream tires? I don't see how that can lose.

deven_science said:
Red bike, with lots of copper touches, brown leather seat and other pieces, and cream tires? I don't see how that can lose.
:mrgreen: Have to agree! Nice work on the tank so far!

Luke.

Re: Stretched Boardtracker, starting the tank

After collecting dust for a couple of months, I was eyeballing this bike, and decided to attack it with renewed interest. A quick test ride with a couple months distance from the last time revealed something obvious, the BB/seat configuration does not work on this bike. Don't get me wrong, I intend to attempt another future build with the cranks behind me, but this bike is too low for that. My toes were scraping the ground, and I had to really concentrate to keep them up. Just too low. So, after shedding a quick tear for my vision, I hacked off the BB, and moved it forward. The added bonus to this is that I was also able to cut off the seat, and remount it back where it was before. I liked it a lot better in that first position, so yay for that, at least. I want cool looking bikes, but comfort has the slight edge on priority.

Anyhoo, here's where it sits as of tonight (it's always dark now when I'm in the shop, dagnabbit winter):

This morning, on this wonderful Thanksgiving, I woke up hours before anyone else, so I got quite a bit of time in the shop. I worked on a few bikes, just doing little touches, but I did a few things to the boardtracker. I added a half-link, because there isn't much adjustment in the bike, and it was either too long, or too short. It still seemed too loose, so I just shoved another chainring in there to hold it solid, and that did the trick.
IMG_1931_zps67ff6bb3.jpg

If I keep that extra chainring in there, I'll paint it to match the rest of the bike when finished. I've got a cool idea for it to maybe have a red and copper spiral painted on it that spins when I'm pedaling.

I then used an axle mounted kickstand for it, but the one I had was for a 24" bike, so I lengthened it, and bent it to compensate for the lean my chain stays have.
IMG_1929_zpsc3fca0bd.jpg

Then I worked on the copper tank for a while, brazing the ends some more, cleaning the ends up with a grinder, and figuring out how I want to mount it. I'm thinking of going with two leather straps. I had this junk leather belt, so I cut it and punched new holes in it to see how that would work.
IMG_1932_zpsaeef5cdb.jpg

I'd like to find two identical belts, but barring that, maybe I'll be on the lookout at thrift stores for belts with ornate buckles or interesting tooled leather.

I've found the perfect siren for this build. I bought it a few weeks ago at Vintage Bicycle Supply's bike swap meet. I bought it because I'd never seen anything like it before, but I had no idea what to put it on, it's such a loud color. Today, I realized that with its retro style, and final red/copper color scheme, this bike will be perfect for it.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Red Baron!!
IMG_1936_zps5b1e694d.jpg

I little more work on the bike. Bought a second belt which is similar in size and color (but not style) to the first one, and put it on there. The two of them hold the tank in there quite well.
IMG_1956_zpsaa399b84.jpg

I also made a front headlight out of some plumbing parts, including a 1" copper 45. I may not leave it like that, as I'm not sure I like it.
IMG_1957_zpsafc6f051.jpg

Made another couple of changes for comfort. With every build, comfort and/or functionality becomes more and more important, even over style. No more form over function for me. I've put too much money into building bikes that I don't ride. I want my builds to be ridable. Having stated that, I flipped the bars up, and I'll be extending them so that I can reach them while sitting upright. I also messed with the chain until I could eliminate the tensioner and floating chainring.

There is still much to be done, but the mock up is basically complete, so next will be to tear it down, and spend some time fixing some welds, cleaning the frame up, and stripping it of old paint and unused bolt holes and whatnot. Then I'll be sending it to powdercoating. Here's how it looks with the bars flipped and the more direct chain configuration.
IMG_1958_zps19610366.jpg

Latest posts

Back