Stretched Murray cantilever

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: My first Stretch: Murray cantilever

looks good! if i had those frames i think mine would've ended up the same! i think you should cut the seat tube and lean it back, to give it more comfort, and to make it look longer. and whos caprice is that??? 8)

Re: My first Stretch: Murray cantilever

Thanks, and yes, a seatpost tube modification is in this bicycle's future 8) I explained the Caprice two posts above, it is my father's car. :D

Re: My first Stretch: Murray cantilever *Updated Mock Up Pics*

Ok, so here it is! It's gonna look something like this... Only I'm going to using longer bars, modify the seat post tube, grind my welds smooth, and use a different fork. How's it look? :mrgreen:

6fbe4m.jpg

dzxyrq.jpg

vzvjtx.jpg

2d12psm.jpg

...And I've thought some more, and I might just grind my welds smooth and leave it looking this way. I'm a sucker for old blue paint. :lol: I just need an old blue seat and some appropriate paint for that ugly pink rear portion. (I think that has to go).

steve hasnt made a smiley face guy that is clapping but if there was one, id give you a bunch of em!!! hats off to you sir!

Easy E

i like it! oh and i have a blue schwinn "s" seat you could use. its ratty enough!

Unchained you did a great job, was lookin' forward to pics in my earlier post, now i'm lookin' forward to progress pics. NICE! 8)

Thanks again for all the compliments and suggestions guys... stretch, thanks for the offer, but I think I'm going to look for a really special seat for this one. Bigblockthing: awesome idea on the seat post tube! I think I'm going to do just that... My welds are a little thick to hand file all the way, so it's grinder first then hand file... and this one more than likely will not be painted after all, I can't bring myself to do it... :D I love the rattiness as is. I am going to polish all the chrome pieces though, as the fenders have an olive green overspray that just doesn't go... it will be an ineteresting bike with the contrast between beautiful chrome and super wide WW's and the ugliness of the frame mods.

bigblockthing said:
..and what are those fenders from? i love the shape..reminds me of an old lead sled

That's great because that was the aim! They are from a Colson bicycle, 1940's with the "cushioner fork" (a minimal springer where the spring is contained in a little cylinder in front of the fork). They seem to be really rare- I have never seen a pair of chrome fenders on a Colson bike. What'es even better, there are no dents ANYWHERE and the chrome is nice under all the olive colored overspray.

bigblockthing said:
even a kinked piece could look cool to break up the smoothness for a bit, if you like that style anyways..heres mine

03192009171.jpg

Sick! Thanks for the picture, it gives me something to think on... By the way, I love the look of your bike, and the fact that it is a Murray, a lot of those are being chopped on here as of late! They have the perfect lines for the job...

Monday Night Update: So here's where I'm at. I worked on filing (by hand, of course :D) all of my ugly welds, and well, they came out really smooth. I've ALWAYS wanted to do a bare steel bike (even before I got my first old bike) and I'm finally bringing that dream into reality; this is gonna be a bare steel build. Oh, but there will be a twist. (That will be understood soon enough... 8)) I will have updated pictures of the frame tomorrow morning, but I'll describe now what has changed. As mentioned, all my welds (well, one super ugly one at the back excepted) have been finely filed smooth, and I've begun to fix the cuts in the downtube caused by moving the cantilever bars downward. (I'll have everything finish filed in tomorrow's pics). I really like the flowing lines of this frame, and rather than having a kinked seat post tube, I'm going with an appropriately curved one; I want the seat to be much lower than it will be now without sacrificing the flowing lines. I'm going to borrow (err, I didn't ask for permisson :lol:) Jon's awesome fender dropping idea to give it a super low and kustom look. if I do drop the fenders that way, what size WW tires do you think would look best? Full size 2.125 ballooners, or size 1.75 tires?

now thats gonna look rad! cant wait to see it! ive always wanted to do a bare metal bike but just havent done it yet! and for tires, i run the biggest sons a beeches you could find!!! like some 26x3 kenda flames with some homemade white walls! man this bike is sick lookin!!!

Easy E

elvis51 said:
now thats gonna look rad! cant wait to see it! ive always wanted to do a bare metal bike but just havent done it yet! and for tires, i run the biggest sons a beeches you could find!!! like some 26x3 kenda flames with some homemade white walls! man this bike is sick lookin!!!

Easy E

Thanks again for the compliments. :D I'm actually not a big fan of Kenda flames. I'm still unsure on what tires will be used after all, but I've got the frame 95% done. It's almost completely stripped, all the welds are filed, and all that I have left to do is finish stripping it and weld a bracket in for my fender to bolt/screw to. I will post pictures as soon as the thunderstorm is over... It's a classic rainy spring day up here in Central MA. I figured out what I wanted to do about dropping the seat down, and, rather than cutting the whole seatpost tube out to weld in a downtube (it would have taken me most of a day to finish that), I chopped an inch and a half or so off of the seatpost tube at the top so that my collar sits on the frame tubes... that and the right seat setup should drop the seat down pretty low... I'm glad I didn't have to lose the current look.

Re: My first Stretch: Murray cantilever *Updated Frame Pics*

Well, here is what I accomplished today! The welds are filed smooth and most all of the paint is gone. I chopped the seat post tube at the top where there is an extra 1.5 inches and dropped the collar down so it sits on the frame (Before, it sat up several inches higher). The areas where I cut the downtube by accident in moving the cantilever tubes cleaned up nice with some welds and filing.

j58fh4.jpg

2uit.jpg

ricec3.jpg

e6zqr6.jpg

dy0mjl.jpg

2q39f92.jpg

MOCK UP:

a23xjb.jpg

I'm wondering what kind of bars to run on this one... I'm torn between '68 style apehangers or cruiser bars like on my Hawthorne (http://i39.tinypic.com/qqx0ti.jpg). Future plans on this build:

Seat- changed direction, going with a period white or black banana seat, nothing fancy, just of good length and soft, set low above the fender.

Bars- Make up my mind and find a pair. :roll:

Tires: Solid white ballooners of middleweights, or the same sizes with whitewalls instead... nothing knobby... the fenders will be dropped down over the tires to give it a lowered, custom look, and once I get things configured, I'll weld in a bracket for the bottom fender tab to attach to... The fender will be tipped back to the point of scraping, I think. 8)

Crank- keep my eye open for another 52 tooth Sears Murray/Jc Higgins style crank setup

Pedals- some aged black or white prewar block pedals

Chainguard- not running one 8)

Fork- standard Murray blade fork, stretched apart a little to fit my wide front fender, find a pair of Murray '50's trusses...

dude!! you got some mad skills with that file! what kind of tools do you use?

stretch said:
dude!! you got some mad skills with that file! what kind of tools do you use?

Thank you very much, I appreciate that. :D As much as I groan about the filing, I like the very detail oriented work... I used a rather course old file I found in a bucket of junk on my father's workbench that is probably four times older than me to do the rough work, and followed that with a very fine one. I don't know if they're marked or not with a brand name or any indications of level of coarseness, but they did the trick! :D I was very glad to see how smooth the files did this... I was not expecting it to be as easy as it was.

Oh, I nearly forgot- to do the cantilever/downtube joint welds, I used a chainsaw file. :wink:

bikebuilder said:
Frame is looking good! I like the apes.

Thanks! I also like the apes but I don't think this particular set is quite right... maybe they'll grow on me, but I think I'm going to go with something lower. Schwinn style mini-apes are what I had in mind... like those from the later stingrays or the fairlady type Schwinns.

wow!ill have to go to some metal shops and ask around bout them files.. always love to do it old school. 8)

stretch said:
wow!ill have to go to some metal shops and ask around bout them files.. always love to do it old school. 8)

Yeah! I like to keep things old school and I don't like using bondo if I can avoid it... around here, we have this place about 30 minutes away from home called "The Tool Shed"... it's this guy's store who just buys and resells old tools for a living... he sells buckets and buckets of old tools for dollars and there is always no shortage of files and what not to be had cheap.

more of my applause goes to you sir. im beyond impressed with this bike. quite possibly one of the best stretches ive seen, especially a homemade stretch!!!

Easy E

Back