Stretched Schwinnnn Chopper

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, Ya'll I figured I'd show you one of my longest running projects, since it's finally in a presentable form. It's taken a few years, because it was always a back burner bike.

You remember when Kenda used to sell the 26x3 flame tires, and then the quit and sold them all off really cheap? Well, I got 2 pairs and this is the first bike I built around them. I started with a frame I had sitting in the back yard, a rusted up 80's schwinn that I grabbed out of the trash.
precut.jpg

I've always wanted a stretched and raked subtle bike so that's kind of where it went.
cutit.jpg

A few inches on the bottom tube, a few inches on the rear triangle Spreading to fit the wide tires and a wide fork.
rakenstretch1.jpg

rakenstretch2.jpg

Well, some time went by, and I asked Dan from I-ride for some help and time on his frame jig.
We formalized the stretch on the bottom, around 4"
dropouts.jpg

Added some awesome drop outs
dropout2.jpg

Set the rake and trail, and added to the front of the frame
headstretch.jpg

and got it to a really nice profile.
stretchfront.jpg

and beefed it up a bit.
reinforce.jpg

I put it together and rode it. It was OK, but not really great. Then a neighbor cleaned out their garage and put most of a Jesse James bike on the curb. I was really lucky because it was the front half.

I cut the head tube off (the only part that still said Schwinn) Pulled the top bar up some and tacked on the new one.
DSCF1988.jpg

It rode really really nice, I set the trail at an inch, and it's super comfortable for me.
DSCF1984.jpg

I'm a big guy- 6'3" and the whole thing feels like a scaled-up bike. I was so happy, I skipped my tradition of not painting until I break something, and put on a more normal seat.
DSCF2016.jpg

Everyone likes the shifter
DSCF2020.jpg

and the LED-converted headlights.
DSCF2022.jpg

I'm sure it's not done yet, so I'll keep adding as I change the bike.

Back