Strike! (Stretch trike)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anywhere I roam, Where I lay my head is home.
I'm going to stretch this practically new (still had the film on the head badge) Schwinn Town and Country with a 3 speed Sturmey Archer. Trike7.JPG

Trike8.JPG

Trike6.JPG

Trike5.JPG

Last edited:
Going with 27" apehanger bars above a suspension fork for the disc front brake, 26" front wheel with 2.125" rubber and 24" rear with 3" rubber on Mongoose mag wheels.
The stretch job is going to be cut and weld free.
I'm going to fab up a grip shifter to a stick. Found a couple of good ideas in RRB threads.
I don't have any idea what I'll do with the basket/cargo area.
I'm torn between a rattle can murder job or powder coating.

Why do you say "tried", what problems did you encounter?
Oh gosh, I almost feel like I'm having Vietnam flashbacks or something.

1. Spent way too much money just gathering parts, only to not use most of them
2. Found out it'd cost even more money to have someone fabricate the parts I didn't have (think like $1000 minimum)(not a fabricator myself)
3. Frequent changes in build direction
4. Should have shelved the build for later when I had a better idea of what I wanted to with it, before spending more money on it (Didn't)
5. Sandblaster nozzle clogged, then broke just a week or so before the deadline, preventing the last chance of submitting a rideable entry
6. Constant burnout from how out-of-control the build got, on top of burnout from real-life stuff

Overall, I got way too over-ambitious for my own good, and I didn't know how much everything would really cost to do the way I wanted. I also ran into a number of problems that were beyond my control, such as bad weather and a broken sandblaster, which really hindered progress at the tail-end of the project. And to this day, my trike is still not done. I still want to finish it someday, but I seriously need to figure out how I really want to build it before I spend another dime on it.

If you want to see the whole train wreck in action, just click on the link here.

Sounds like you were way more ambitious than me. Mine will be almost completely bolt on swap out mods. I gathered the stuff before I knew the BO was coming.
Yeah, and it was my first MBBO too, so I was uncharacteristically competitive and determined to prove myself to the RRB veterans. Now, I'm just trying to play things a little more conservatively and realistically. I'm not competing with anyone except myself this time. Sounds like you're playing it smart. You planned ahead, got the parts you needed, and odds are you'll get your trike done the way you want with time to spare!

I picked up 2 24" rim brake front wheels from Mongoose Alerts to use as rear wheels and 1 26" disc hub from a Mongoose Mack for the front. I need to paint the 24s to get rid of the rim braking polish and get the 1" hubs on the non drive side machined out to 1 1/8" to fit the axle bearings. The drive side hub needs to be modded to fit on the flat axle.

KIMG0183.JPG

Last edited:
Last edited:
I have the unfortunate task of withdrawing from the MBBO competition. While everyone is ok, all three of the residents of my home, my wife, daughter and I were diagnosed with and fought off the Evil Covid. We are ok but I was set too far back in my schedule to complete my build by the deadline. I will finish my build and show it off when it's done. Good luck to everyone.

Latest posts

Back