Stuck bearing race on a one piece crank

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The middle of the Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have an old Snyder frame that has a one piece dog leg crank arm that was fixed with gas welding at least 56 years ago because that is when the cycle shop I got if from went out of business. The heat from the welding distorted the threads and the place to gip the race had the shallowest notches I have ever seen. After a week of penetrating oil soaking banging on it with a hammer and cold chisel got it moving, but soon rounded the notches to the point where the chisel just slipped. It is extremely tight. I could not get vice grips in there. I though about cutting a notch in the outside edge with a Dremel tool but the steel is hardened and I thought that might not work. I used my hammer drill set to hammer and pushed hard with my body weight on the remains of the notch and it came off to the point where I could get vice grips on it. It is real hard to turn but I think I got it. Nothing else would have probably worked.
IMG_0526.JPG

Notice the old weld where the crank arm bends to go into the BB. I may have to use an angle grinder to get the race to clear the weld. Nice dog leg before it was broke. It now turns a little and then the vice grips slip off then it turns a little more etc. Goobered up threads.
IMG_0525.JPG

Last edited:
If the bearings are present and the crank was welded true (if you intend to reuse the crank) maybe just wash the bearings and races with brakekleen and blow out with air. probably get some grease in there with a straw or reg screwdriver and put it back together. I have done a few where the pedals are stubborn like that.:)
also maybe tighten the cone back together and grind a few threads off that are close to the weld and take it apart then...

If the bearings are present and the crank was welded true (if you intend to reuse the crank) maybe just wash the bearings and races with brakekleen and blow out with air. probably get some grease in there with a straw or reg screwdriver and put it back together. I have done a few where the pedals are stubborn like that.:)
also maybe tighten the cone back together and grind a few threads off that are close to the weld and take it apart then...
I am only keeping the non fixed skip tooth stuff. I gave away the two welded ones for people who want to display them. The weld was good as I had to grind it to get the nuts over the weld. it was too screwed up to mess with.

Latest posts

Back