Stuck pedal removal?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firestone has nice reflector free square blocked black pedals. Henderson has beat to death warped, broken versions of the same pedals. I can't get the Firestone pedals to come out. I've tried PB Blaster, wrenches, Vise Grips, heating with a small torch...

I know about the reverse threads on the left one, that isn't the problem. Neither will budge.

I NEED the Firestone pedals for the Henderson. I can't run cheapo modern pedals on my pre-war (at least until the original owner, my father in law, has passed on), it would look horrible. Picked up the Bell "sneaker" pedals for the Firestone from Wal-mart, good enough. It is just the practice bike for resto-modding the Henderson (I haven't fooled with pedal bikes in over 20 years, I have custom motorcycles). I'd rather mess up my post-war throw away than my pre-war while i relearn pedal bikes.

Thanks guys.

Broke the wrench. Pedals didn't come out of the cranks. I may just cut the crank and put new guts/crank/sprocket in the bottom bracket housing. I can pull the pedal blocks and hardware for spares and rebuild the Henderson ones that way I guess. Hate to go that route though.

This is a method I have used for extremely stubborn assemblies, it requires care though!

You need dry ice, a suitable pot, heat torch, some insulating lagging- I use boiler lagging- to put round the pedal arm to prevent heat radiating and your pedal wrench.

First dissassemble the pedal so you are left with just the pedal axel on the crank arm, then lagg the pedal arm from the pedal axel downwards leaving the elbow clear to apply the heat. Have the dry ice in a pot that is deep enough for the axel to dip into all the way to the crank arm. Heat the elbow of the crank and let the heat transmit to the pedal axel, this will mean that the crank arm gets hot. When the pedal axel is hot, hot enough to flash steam any water drops- you can flick some drops off your fingure to get an idea- dip it into the dry ice.

The crank will have expanded along with the pedal axel, when it is dipped into the dry ice the pedal axel contracts suddenly breaking the seizure. You will often hear a slight crack sound, sometimes very audible other times not so audible. If you hear this get your wrench and undo the pedal. If the first attempt doesnt succeed try again getting it hotter. Providing the crank or axel aren't high alloy heat treated steel then it won't weaken the structure.

usually heating it to a nice deep red color and then squirting some motor oil on it will get most anything unstuck.
I restored a 100 year old redwood water tank for a guy, thats how we got the nuts loose on the old steel bands..

That will work too but it will soften the pedal axel bearing races so you would soon need new axels if the pedals are to be used a lot- of course if they are already pitted then no loss.

Back