Stuck Stem Removal - Solved!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I know this question has been asked numerous times before, but I am at a standstill with this. I am cleaning up a '67 Schwinn Breeze for a coworker and I cannot get the stem out. The stem bolt is out, I even hit it with a hammer to unseat the wedge, but this thing will not come out!
I have tried every thing at my disposal (in my shop) and nothing!
Penetration Blaster - nope.
WD40 - nuh uh.
Finish Line Citrus Degreaser - no way.
Ammonia (per a Google search) - not happening.
My own muscles - nada.

:(

I am moving on to the rest of the bike at this point and will come back to it later, but man.... :x
I can't even get the locknut on the fork loose.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Stuck Stem Removal

Of course, typical Murphy's Law, I managed to break the lock nut loose, but the stem is absolutely not budging. I may put it in the bench vise and see if I can use that somehow.

Stem in vise, turn the fork?

dont forget the heat, use a propane torch to heat it up.... then cool it down by spraying your favorite lubricant where the stem goes into the fork. Then clamp the stem in a vise and try cranking on the fork... rinse, lather, repeat until it finally starts moving.

Hah! I just came to post that I got it! I did put the stem in the bench vise and worked it out with the help of a coworker. I was old they could hear the hammer all over the store. Hahaha.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back