stupid Q' here 'Paint stripper'

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
does paint stripper like not work well if its hot out?
or is it that it needs to be shaded cause it was about 101f yesterday and i think i saw it evaporating in the heat..

should i strip when its cooler out or in the shade?
first time using stripper and im not sure if im doing somthing wrong or what not..
i let it sit 'like it said' and when i came out again 'like 15-20min later it was like a glazed layer on the parts :?

When it's really hot like that & you are in direct sun, the stripper evaporates too fast to do it's job. It's best to at least be in the shade, or do it in the evening when it is cooler. It also works better if you brush/spray it on then cover with a heavy plastic (helps contain the vapor). My son used to work @ O'Reilly Auto Parts & we would use the big bags they give you to put batteries in, I think they will give you one free. Hope this helps.

pick said:
When it's really hot like that & you are in direct sun, the stripper evaporates too fast to do it's job. It's best to at least be in the shade, or do it in the evening when it is cooler. It also works better if you brush/spray it on then cover with a heavy plastic (helps contain the vapor). My son used to work @ O'Reilly Auto Parts & we would use the big bags they give you to put batteries in, I think they will give you one free. Hope this helps.
could i get same results 'containing the vapor' if i threw a box over the part or a trash bag? :? if it isnt eaten by the caustic chemicals in it :|

I learned in the build-off last year that not all strippers are created equal and since then have learned that some factory paints hold out a long time!

The first stipper I used was Airplane Stripper (or whatever the brand was) and it worked awesome, it was a gel you painted on. I always used it indoors in a garage.

The second stuff I got was well documented on my build, and it was lousy. viewtopic.php?f=55&t=39623&st=0&sk=t&sd=a#p387215

The latet stuff I've used is a spray on stuff from Lowe's and it's awesome.

Go to your local Napa and buy a spray on stripper called El Dorado. Works pretty good. Works even better if you wrap it in plastic. But like mentioned above, some factory paintjobs stay on better. On those ones, its best to break out the brush on stuff :wink:

VP

Vonpotter said:
Go to your local Napa and buy a spray on stripper called El Dorado. Works pretty good. Works even better if you wrap it in plastic. But like mentioned above, some factory paintjobs stay on better. On those ones, its best to break out the brush on stuff :wink:

VP
well, it was a cheapo chinamart bike that someone spraybombed so paint,decals,more paint, primer..
+really hot out :p = half paint gone.. half not :?

Back