Stupid question: Skip tooth stuff...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this might be a stupid question,please forgive me if its been covered before but ive searched but i cant seem to find any information..

is it possible to get a skip tooth sprocket that will fit on a new style hub? with snap rings? maybe?

i have a newer set of black wheels that would look great on my latest project, i think a skip tooth crank would look great on it too...

Why don't you just grind off every other tooth on the rear cog you have now? As long as it's an even number of teeth to begin with it should work.

karfer did that on his lucky 7....the chain and front sprocket are skip and the rear hub was a nexus 7speed that he ditched every other tooth on(just make sure its an even # first :wink: )and hes never had a problem with it

I believe all the original skip tooth rear cogs threaded on. You might be able to machine one to get it to slide on your newer hub, but then you would have the prroblem of making the little nubs so it doesn't just spin. There might also be a problem with getting the snap ring on as the old cogs were thicker than the newer ones. You could just weld it to the driver. That would make it difficult to change back, but it should work.

if you were to grind off every other tooth on a regular sprocket, would you still be able to use a regualr chain? you wouldnt have to use a skip tooth chain would you?

Easy E

Did you use an original skip tooth chain ring or was that a 1/2 inch pitch with every other tooth gound off also? I would think that the original skip tooth cogs and chain rings would be too thick for regular chain.

sorry regular 1/2" pitch chain ring and 1/2" pitch rear cog just everyother tooth ground off with a 1/2" pitch chain(yes you are right.......a 1" pitch chain ring would be too big for a 1/2" pitch chain)

Back