Sturmey archer shifter questions

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys.
I did a bit of a search but cant seams to find my answers. So here goes.

Are the new SA 3 speed shifters indexed the same as the old 3 speed shifters?.

Any one ever used the the new "stick" style shifter?, how do they mount? I can see how the actual arm mounts to the indexed rotating assembly but how does that assembly mount to the bike?

Cheers
Elliot

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe he is referring to the ones purchased for the new hubs. Or replacements for them.

Thank you for asking, I have been wondering the same thing.

yeah, I'm referring to the ones to suit the new hubs, pretty sure they refer to them as a shifter arm.
they have them listed in their catalogue (on their website) to suit cruisers.
here the parts in question, they make a few different arms as well
Part_620.JPG
:?:

I've thought about buying the same shifter pictured,just wasn't sure exactly what it was and if it was all you needed for shifter...
I can't tell how it mounts either....

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=15825

found this too

here is a current model of the frame mounted shifter available in either a straight stick or curved. Problem is, the whole kit consists of exactly what you see in this picture.
http://classic-cycle.de/en/Hubs-Axles-C ... -bent.html
I ordered one a while back, thinking it would come ready to mount up to the frame tube, but such is not the case.
I called the supplier about it, and their reply was that basically, it's aimed at the OEM market who would work out their own mounting design.

That is the identical shifter that I bought . It's the one that comes in the SXRK3 wide Sturmey hub kit. I was faced with the same problem. How to mount the thing on my Spoiler without drilling holes in the frame, or welding. That shift drum was made to be mounted on the OCC and XL Stingray choppers from around '04. The tabs that hold the drum and shift arm are welded into the frame on the OCC bikes. There is no kit on the market to adapt this shifter to your frame. You have to make one. Here's the solution I came up with:

PICT0001.JPG

The part that you need to fabricate first is the disc at the upper right. Notice the square opening for the tab that holds the shift drum in place. The ring is a spacer. I found it in some junk my Dad saved. I don't know what it was. The C-shaped piece with five holes is the backing plate. It clamps the disc, and ring to the frame.

PICT0004.JPG

Notice the bolt going through the disc in the upper right. Replace the shoulder bolt that comes in the kit with a chrome bolt, and secure the drum with the acorn nut tightened down on the flat lock nut.

PICT0002.JPG

Here's the unit bolted up to the Spoiler frame..

As I said- first job is to fabricate the backing plate with the hole for the drum, and the square opening for the tab. I used some 3mm sheet aluminum that I suspect may have come from a highway sign at one time. And this whole project was done with pretty primitive tools. It's a challenge, but it can be done.
Good luck.

JWM

Does anyone know if old SA shifters will work with the newer wide body SA hubs?

All of the Sturmey 3 speed hubs and sifters are interchangeable, except for the 3speed fixed gear hubs ("s3x")

hth

Latest posts

Back