Sturmey shifter on a Nexus 3

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I read in my travels in Rat rod bikes, that a sturmey Archer shifter would work on a Shimano nexus 3. It works!
My wife didn't like my home made suicide shifter, she kept saying, "smaller, it's to big."
So I kept looking for a lever to go onto a grip shifter she would accept, moving my newly aquired sturmey stuff she said, "that one is perfect, thank you," and went inside...
So I am standing there thinking, "women! :)" and of course, "will it work?" I remembered reading it would, so I tried it.
20140211_045332_zps2d470d4c.jpg

Works great! Adjust it in second, no problems and it looks great!

I'd caution that S-A uses a different cable travel length between 1-2 than between 2-3, whereas Shimano does not. That means that if you've got it set up right for one gear change, the other will be off somewhat. I would make sure that you're actually getting full engagement at both gear changes and that you aren't running partially engaged.

Thank you for the information, I will proceed with cation...
And report my findings here....

You may want to consider a vintage Shimano thumb shifter instead.
m9FLicjAveyIAjUZdeQUuAg.jpg

I really like the older Shimano thumb shifter that Kingfish shows. The Nexus twist shifters seem sloppy to me. A little pressure in one direction or other and the hub will start to shift. There is no positive lock position on Shimano twist shifters I own. The thumb shifter has what I would call locking positions for each gear. Therefore once adjusted correctly I have never had the slightly out of gear occurrence that happens with the twist shifter.

Yup, that is what i was planning! :)
But, somehow, she managed to change my out look....women.
Anyway, put about 20 miles on it, shifter worked great. I even rode it like a tired road guy, kept shifting constantly with no problems.

Latest posts

Back