Sturney Archer 3 Speed Adjustment

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Since I started working at the bike shop I learned a few things including ,S/A three speed adjustment.
Without having a picture for reference , basicly you have the cableside wheelnut with the hole in it, what you need to do is put the bike in second gear and while it is in second the edge of the rod where the shift chain attaches needs to be lined up with the inside edge of the hole in the wheelnut, make sure the rod is all the way tightened and the adjustment will be on the barrelnut where the shift cable attaches, took care of the neutral drop on mine :wink:

In a perfect world it would always be so. It can depend on the thickness of the washer, etc. (another stack height, if you will) under that axle barrel nut which will change the distance in relationship to the internal rod and gearset to that inspection port. That is a good place to start, and likely will work fine, but always be prepared to tweak that adjustment to get it 'just right'. I do an initial adj., finger tighten the locknut and roadtest; if it needs more it is easy to hop off and tweak, say, by 1/2 turns, and retry. When it proves good for a while I tighten the locknut down a bit more (but not too tight).

Latest posts

Back