"Super Hulk" a hot rod chopper, finished

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started building this bike over a month ago. Then I had to move and got too busy with
taking care of other things including moving into a larger shop & then setting that shop
up. From the beginning photos to the end ones, you'll notice the bike is in different shops.

Here's the whole build and the finished bike, which I just took on it's 12 mile break-in
ride yesterday. I already have a 100% rat chopper, so this one's painted. However, it's
got pure classic lines and a hot rod stance.

You can check out this bike, my other bikes and the other custom work I do on
facebook, Southern Specialty Co.

PICT0013-1.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

PICT0024.jpg

PICT0025.jpg

PICT0031.jpg

PICT0032.jpg

PICT0034.jpg

PICT0035.jpg

PICT0038.jpg

PICT0039.jpg

PICT0045.jpg

PICT0059.jpg

PICT0060.jpg

PICT0062.jpg

PICT0063.jpg

PICT0064.jpg

PICT1726.jpg

PICT1725.jpg

PICT1728.jpg

PICT1733.jpg

PICT1732.jpg

PICT1723.jpg

PICT1734.jpg

PICT1721.jpg

PICT1720.jpg

PICT1719.jpg

PICT1727.jpg

PICT1724.jpg

PICT1722.jpg

PICT1730.jpg

PICT1731.jpg

PICT1729.jpg

Great Job!!!! This turned out nice!!Great use of parts 8) :mrgreen:

Radical bike! Great build!!!
If you're into some more changes,I suggest a fatter rearwheel and a triple tree fork. Just to make it a bit more brutal. But that could be a nice winterjob. Enjoy the summer first. :)
Be cool.

Thanks for the comments :D I have always considered running 3 and 4 inch rear wheels and
tires. But they're pretty pricy and more than the money, the weight! It's the weight with the
forks too. I ride the heck out of my bikes. 10 to 12 mile rides are common. Your gonna hit
hills and that's when the fat wheels and tires are not cool. It's hard in fabrication for me to
keep the custom work limited just to save weight. I ride my bikes fast and hard, sometimes,
like yesterday, I'll catch up to road bike guys on the open trail! I run 26" inch wheels too.
Maybe a 4 inch wide 20" wheel/tire is not too heavy, but with 26's it's a whole different
story. But again, it's the speed you get out of 26's versus little 20's. I'm wanting to even
go to 29's now that they're getting common in the mountain bike world. Plus, right now,
when you run a multi-speed freewheel, you have to deal with chain clearance for fatty tires.

I'm trying to get a good TIG welder now and then my plan is to go all aluminum with my
frames and forks. Then I can get mega radical and have a light bike. :D

Thanks, I forgot to mention, the rear now is 2.25 and the front is 1.75 and I'm planning to go even
skinnier on the front. I can go to 2.35 on the rear now if I want, but 2 and a quarters work good.

Re: "Super Hulk" a hot rod chopper, finished Revised Handlebars

It's been a little while since I finished this bike. I originally built this bike for my wife
to ride and because of that, I built the first set of handlebars right up in front of you.
I kept the wheelbase short (for one of my bikes) and the rider position not so low. After
it was done, my wife said she was afraid to ride it because she was scared of messing it
up or breaking something. She already has her own bike and she did lay down one of my
choppers already. So the bike just started to sit around. Although I have quite a collection
of bikes now, if ones not being ridden I don't like it. So I re-did the handlebars on it. I
made them lower and wider & basically turned this bike into one bad cruiser. It's great
for tight street riding and I can take it on the city train too if I have to. I'm pretty happy
with the new bar design, changed the whole look of the bike. I'm thinking of taking this
one to the Garland Texas bike show next month, but I'm still on the fence about it. I
really don't know what if any custom bike scene there is around here. I log a lot of miles
& all I see is road bike guys in spandex.

SANY0189.jpg

SANY0191.jpg

SANY0190.jpg

SANY0188.jpg

Ok, your reasons for not using fat wheels are valid. I agree, riding fast on a bike like that is awesome. I also glue myself to some dudes on racebikes sometimes (if it's not too windy) and I get the strangest comments from them. Especially when I mention its weight (100 Lb). :shock:
So I'ld say: ride like h*ll and have fun.
Great seat,btw. It looks mucho comfy. I'm still looking for the perfect seat to do 50-(or more)mile cruises, without saddlepains. Is this the one?

Thanks. The seat is not too bad for 10-12 miles. After that it gets a bit sore too. I usually build all my seats into the frame, like this.

PICT1308.jpg

This particular one is on my Rat. It logs the highest miles, sometimes going out 6 or 7 days a week 10 mile minimum & up to 20. Maybe once or twice it got sore, but it's more likely from me riding so much! :lol:

They stay just like that too, no padding or anything, just sheet metal over tubing. Believe it or not, it's been more comfortable than any pre-made seat I have been able to buy. The other nice thing is, it saves quite a bit of weight. You totally get rid of the heavy plastic and padding, the swivel mounting bracket, seat rails, nut & bolt hardware, internal seat post (which is just another piece of pipe doing nothing) & the seat post clamp.

From the side view, it cleans up the bikes lines big time too!
PICT1691.jpg

This one, I padded the back side only because it was the pressure point. It rode like a Cadillac, though I no longer have that bike. It was the only one I riveted too. The others are welded.

PICT1659.jpg

And on my latest build, just recently finished. This one I hammer formed and welded too. Since this photo, I have padded the back side of it too. It rides like a dream, it's light and it lets the bikes lines flow.

SANY0302.jpg

As far as wrecking on any of my bikes, I'd honestly rather wreck on the purple and green one with all the spike stuff. That bike has a more regular riding position and heaven forbid, if something did go wrong, I'd be more likely to fly over the handlebars or separate from it. With my other bikes, it would be a lot harder to separate from the bike in an accident and there's no way your flying over the handlebars, just into them. So as I always say when this comes up, just like my dad use to tell me, "just don't wreck it!!!" :lol:

Thanks for the comments, glad you guys like them. I'm in Plano & yeah, the purple and green one has been up on C/L. I have been selling since the beginning of this year because the bikes are piling up around here. I'm gonna try and make the bike show in Garland at the end of next month with the bikes. Right now that one is the only one I have listed, but if it doesn't sell by then, I 'll be bringing it. :)

Back