Super Rare Find! 1982 NOS WEBCO 26" BMX F/F!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Today the brown truck dropped off an awesome delivery in an original box from 1982!!!

IMGP1811.jpg

IMGP1813.jpg

IMGP1812.jpg

IMGP1814.jpg

Along with the super rare frame and fork came some memorabilia: Two 18” x 24” EMORY Mojave sales posters in really good shape! If you have an EMORY Mojave and/or are interested in one of these, PM me.
IMGP1816.jpg

IMGP1817.jpg

IMGP1818.jpg

In addition to the posters, 2 sets of frame decals were included – a white set and a black set. I think I’m going to go with a lighter color on the frame and fork, so will be using the black set.

IMGP1821.jpg

IMGP1819.jpg

And the frame and fork. A NOS frame and fork combo 26” BMX Cruiser Manufactured in Jacksonville, FL by EMORY (makers of the Mojave, Sahara, and Kalahari cruisers). More detail can be found on the BMXMUSEUM site here http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/webco/31687 and at the EMORY site here http://www.aerofast.com
My plan is to remove the chain guard braces and save up for parts and paint. Will be posting the build on the site as soon as I have the resource$. This find set me back a ways! 

Webco.png

IMGP1827.jpg

2 weeks ago there was a Mojave cruiser listed on CL in Charlotte, NC, but the seller sold it before I got there (even though we agreed on a time, date, etc). I then did a BING search on the Mojave cruiser and ended up contacting the EMORY site and actually spoke to Clayton EMORY Smith. Anyway, we spoke for probably 20-30 minutes about bikes, the move of US bicycle manufacturers to Asia, etc. I finally got the nerve up to ask if he had any frames still available. He told me he didn't think so, but he would look. About a day later I got an email that said he couldn't find what I was looking for. As a sidebar - Besides losing out on the CL listing, I had seen RipVanWinkle's Webco Cruiser on BMXMUSEUM and thought it looked very cool. Anyway, 3 days later Clayton sent me an emai and said his wife went upstairs at the factory (apparently they are not manufacturing the Mojave now, but instead tooling up for the super-bike). She actually found an unpainted Webco cruiser frame and fork. He asked if I was interested and I said, "Yep!" :) Then we haggled a bit, agreed on a price, and it arrived today!
I'm really excited about the find - US Made, cool design, and a bit hard to find. The other cool thing was the box. I've only seen one other 26 WEBCO cruiser made by EMORY and that was RipVanWinkle's. Would love to know if any RatRodders have seen one or better yet, own one! So that's the story - no inside friends at the factory - just two guys talking bikes! :D

Hello RRBrs, I've been a huge fan of this site for years. Love the bikes, info, and community here.
Awesome score, robertk! I no longer have the only known Webco Cruiser. Wow, NOS, box, and pinup poster. Is the brake bridge stamped "Webco"? From what little I know, Webco sold their remaining stock of miscellaneous stickers, tubing, etc. to Emory. Emory used these parts along with a metal stamp that they had made with "Webco" and "Emory". My frame does not have the chaingaurd mounts. The gaurd that came with it had its own mounts. I'm also trying to get more information from the guys at Bauer Distribution located here in Minneapolis. John Bauer was telling me that they had purchased the remaining Emory stock when they changed their business.

I was trying to get a member at the BMXSociety to stop over at the old Emory place and ask some question. Again, killer score! Killer site here!

I have a complete (I believe it's an '82) Emory Webco 20" survivor, I've never seen another, and a far as I knew Rips' was the only other 26"cruiser until this one.
Cool story about getting it from Emorys owner.
I'd probably hold off on removing the chain guard tabs, but thats just me. Like was said, it's a rare frame. By 1982 Webco as a brand was taking it's last gasps. The examples made by Emory were not really high quality or desireable in their time, they weren't junk by any stretch, they were just old designs and Webco as a bmx brand was well past its heyday which was around '74-'77.
That being said, Webco was one of the most significant brands in the earliest days of bmx and anything associated with the brand is desirable among some collectors. IMHO, a piece as rare as 1 of 2 known, representing the end of an era so to speak, should be preserved to whatever extent is possible.
But what ever you do with it, for sure it will be cool!

Personally being so rare I'd keep it in it's box and only look at it. But the temptation to ride it would be killer so I'd buy a welder, take precise measurements, and clone that thing. Then preserve the original in it's box and customize the clones. :mrgreen:

It's funny how something this rare could end up being a blessing and a curse at the same time.

Build it up and kill a lot of its value or leave it as is to save the value and not really be able to enjoy it. :?

Agreed on the curse thing! Now I'm super confused :? It's the age old conflict of perserving and having fun/ using it - both sides have valid points...
Anyway, so to answer Rip's question, this specific frame actually has EMORY stamps where yours has the WEBCO stamps on the brake bridge.

Maybe I should take the easy way out and sell it or trade it ?!? Then I won't have to make a decision! :D

Well, I am looking for an S&S Newport f/f! ;)

Anyway, I have a few projects in front of this one, so it will give me some time to ponder "the curse"!

Thanks all for the 411 on the WEBCO history / value.

Wow that's a killer find! True old school goodness right here for sure. I'm glad to read you have other projects in front of this one, let some time pass and ponder it a while. :D

Here is a cool Emory cruiser I found at a local swapmeet. Different frame, but still a cool ride...and it makes a nice loaner too!
P7230173.jpg

P7230175.jpg

those emory cruisers are cool. personally i dont mind if the chain guard tab was removed as long as it was a professional looking job. that frame needs to be painted sometime to protect it.

So regretably I sold the WEBCO f/f to fund other projects, and I've been searching for another set ever since.
By a stroke of luck, I think lightning is going to strike twice! Finally found another one - they are rare - and I think the deal is getting close to being closed. :)
Will def post pics once I receive it.

Robertk said:
Agreed on the curse thing! Now I'm super confused :? It's the age old conflict of perserving and having fun/ using it - both sides have valid points...
I just went through that dilemma with a survivor '67 muscle bike I bought to use as a project for my daughter. My answer: Trading with a collector for all the parts necessary to build a great bike that my girl will someday enjoy when she grows into it. I get what I want, the collector gets what he wants. Win/Win

But to me it sounds like you WANT the Emory! So... maybe build it without paint?

GetInline.aspx
GetInline.aspx

I have had this back for a good year now.
I received it free from a family friend.
They told me I could have it as long as I promised to re-build it and well..here it is.
I havent been able to find any other Emory bikes out there that look like this one.
I was going to look into selling it but then again as I read on about the makers I feel as if I should mount it on my wall and look to it as a prized possession.
By the sticker on the fork I believe it came in a box and supposed to be put together.
Im so happy I received the opportunity to do so my self!

Back