superbe find

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there a place a couple of blocks from me called helping hand, people donate things to them and they in return sell the stuff and give the money to an organization. nice thing. sometimes i will find a bike and buy it. today i was looking in their scrap bin and i found this superbe ralhage(sp) w/ a 3sp sturmey archer hook to an old 26x1 3/8 rim which was in good shape. actually the whole bike is in pretty good shape except the front rim which is rusted out but the hub is good. i have a front rim that is good so i will use that. so my ? to all of you is: should i just leave it alone, clean it all up, put on a clear coat and ride it or strip it all down and repaint it? i did rub it out in places and its not bad. there is some paint coming off in places. i took some pics so here it is:

JWSMOCKUPBIKES084.jpg

JWSMOCKUPBIKES085.jpg

JWSMOCKUPBIKES086.jpg

JWSMOCKUPBIKES087-1.jpg

JWSMOCKUPBIKES088.jpg

JWSMOCKUPBIKES089.jpg

JWSMOCKUPBIKES090.jpg

JWSMOCKUPBIKES091.jpg

JWSMOCKUPBIKES092.jpg

JWSMOCKUPBIKES093.jpg

the seat is flat no good,am getting a hairpin for it. any comments please, opinions,

thanks, Outlaw :mrgreen:

i would consider that in rough enough condition to take free reign on doing whatever you want to make it look good. my 2 cents...

Do wheelies till the tires blow out. Then paint it black and get some white walls. Cool find i would like to get my hands on a shifter like that. I just picked up a schwinn Colgiant with the sturmy archer 3 speed but the lever part of the shifter is gone.

yep, i know, burrito, was concidering that, but am in the process of building a 27" burrito, 20" burrito, a bent burrito, an a trike burrito. think i have enough burritos. i just do not know if i want it to look more ratty or supper clean, new paint, shiny rat like my red Outlaw rat? need more comments please.

Outlaw :mrgreen:

I say you go all out. Those parts are pretty common. One thing, That color is butt ugly. I would try and find a different paint scheme, I saw one on SheldonBrown that was black. That was a '54 though. What year is the S.A.? It's always nice to have a really .... bike in the line-up!!!

i don't know the year, haven't found any #'s on it. anybody got any ideas, i know it's not worth anything so ya i got free reign on it. will keep looking at it and see. i know if i do redo it , it will be flat black. am getting a hairpin seat for it in a couple of days. thanks for all your sug., keep em coming if you like.

haven't looked at the hub yet, maybe that will give a clue. will do that tommorow. anyways, i have been going thru the gallery looking for insprition an think i found it. there was some pic of old boardtrack roadbikes, clean, simple and fast lookin, sooo with that in mind looks like that is the way to go. just the frame, wheels and crank bars an seat. i'll store the fenders and whatever else i won't use. it will be flat black. sooo here we go, plan done.

Just don't try to take those cottered cranks off, unless you have some TNT. Those things were created by satan.

Here is a shot of something similar I put together a while back and I think yours would look good done something like this too.

This one used a single speed coaster brake wheel set on a mountain bike frame. So no brake cables or hand brakes to worry about. But I think if you stripped off the fenders on yours it would look pretty similar - especially with the same comfort bars on it.

You may want to go with a different paint job - or maybe just leave it as is and ride it. It should make a fun ride now matter what you do with it.

IMG_1906.jpg

no problem getting the cranks off, was the same with my other one i did, easy.

i like your red bike, if you look at the gallery you can see mine, its red and i am sorta of doing the same with this new one except semi flat black, coaster hub.

thanks for the info and all everyone.

OUTLAW said:
i don't know the year, haven't found any #'s on it. anybody got any ideas, Outlaw :mrgreen:

I am guessing early 70's . looks alot like a ladies I picked up that was a 1973.

DSCF3528.jpg

ya, i kinda thought it was an early 70's. thats a nice lady's SUPERBE.

finaly got around to look at the hub. it's a 1971 SUPERBE, so i am happy with it, i painted it semi-black and will out a coaster brake on it, got my hairpin seat for it, so all is looking good. will look like houch's when i am done with red tires. actually i ran across his bike last nite an couldn't believe that i was doing what was already done. oh well, at least i didn't intend to copy his bike.

Back