supercycle avenger,raleigh fireball and the ccm marauder

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i've had my eye on a few bikes. with spring approaching fast its time to act.

i picked this one up from a local kijiji listing. i find it much easier to find things on kijiji than craigs list, and like the fact most listings have a viewable thumbnial in the main search.
IMG_4318.jpg

IMG_4054.jpg

IMG_4055.jpg

its a supercycle (canadian tire brand)avenger. finding info on old ccm's is darn near impossible.(cause its canadian)
IMG_4311-1.jpg

it's has a made in england sticker, so i imagen its a raleigh built bike.
IMG_4310.jpg
(also has a rider stamped on the crank)
most supercycles are either ccm's or raleigh's. i'm not sure of the exact history but i believe there are made canadian made raleigh's. (raleigh and ccm had some sort of arrangement.
IMG_4307-1.jpg

sturmey 3 speed shifter but its missing the rear 3 speed hub. i guess the previous owner couldn't find a tire to fit the unusual sized rims.

the front rim /tire is original. the tire says super-lastic made in canada for the canadian tire corp. its says 20x1 3/8, but it wouldn't fit a on a 20" rim. (thats a 20" tire behind the wheel)
IMG_4305.jpg

not sure if i'm gonna keep it or use it as trade material.
if things work out this weekend (which i'm sure hoping they do) i might have another 3 bikes coming my way.
ccm-1.jpg

3 old supercycles. the maurader is the holy grail of ccm's (i'll let ya guess which ccm is the maurader.)

wish me luck!

Re: ccm avenger

If you decide to fix up the avenger, I believe I have a Sturmey Archer 3 speed coaster with 28 spoke holes.

Re: ccm avenger

Sheldon says 20x1 3/8" has an ISO BSD of 451mm, while standard 20" BMX has a 406mm BSD.

well 2 outta 3 ain't bad. :)

i ended up getting the raleigh fireball and the ccm marauder.

the fireball is an interesting little bike.
its a dual speed. you back peddle to change gears. its almost the same bike as the avenger (both raleigh made). 1969 sturmey s2 hub
IMG_4346.jpg

IMG_4349-1.jpg

fireball has shorter forks, where the avenger has longer front forks for the odd sized 20" wheel. there also alittle different in style.
the fireball will accomidate a thicker rear tire. i imagen the rear tire on the avenger was much like the one on the front. (narrow and oversized)
same bars,same frame, different seat. the avenger also sports a chrome chain guard and of course the 3 speed sturmey shifter (the fireball being the dual speed back peddle shift)

here's the real score. these things are hard to come by and usually expensive. its the muscle bike of canadian muscle bikes.
you were cool if ya rode with a kid that owned one.lol much like a raleigh chopper. (not sure what your american version would be, but i'm sure you have one.)

i'ts been repainted and requires some assembly, but i did get it for a song.
($125) i've seen these fetch $500 on a bad day. i've already recieved offers of $250 and $300 and i have no plans on selling it. sturmey 1969 aw 3 speed shifter/hub dual rear hand brakes,comfy seat with racing stripes and evevated back rest. what more could a kid ask for back in the day.
now i just need a tiger tail for it. :)
IMG_4343-1.jpg

IMG_4344-2.jpg

IMG_4353.jpg

IMG_4355.jpg

its like xmas around here, and where finally starting to show signs of spring!
cant wait to get these hubs relaced.

Hi, I was just hoping to get the name of the bike that's hanging with two others and has a number eight on it. I have a similar bike and have never been able to get a name. its the black one in the 14th picture.
thank you for your time and help
morris

I've never seen one before but now i want one. Great score and thanks for the history lesson.
Spokes

sturmey 3 speed shifter but its missing the rear 3 speed hub. i guess the previous owner couldn't find a tire to fit the unusual sized rims.

the front rim /tire is original. the tire says super-lastic made in canada for the canadian tire corp. its says 20x1 3/8, but it wouldn't fit a on a 20" rim. (thats a 20" tire behind the wheel)
IMG_4305.jpg

I think 20 x 1 3/8 is a size that some bmx'ers run. I used to see some thin tired 20" bmx bikes when I worked in a bike shop and I'm pretty certain that's what size the tires were. It doesn't mean that 20 x 1 3/8 then and now are the same thing, but might be worth looking into?

These are all wicked, especially that CCM.

I want that Raleigh fireball lol never seen one of those yet.

Curious if you still have the Avenger?! All these years later. I just came across one myself and saw this post while doing some research. Let me know!

Back