Supply of Old Cruisers Drying Up?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also keep in mind that as the "baby-boomers" continue to age they will demand more comfortable bikes including cruisers. This will keep the cruiser, muscle bike and Rat Rod hobby going for at least a little while longer.

I started hunting old bikes in '85. The guys that were into the hobby back then like Bill Siddens and Ernie Ball were already telling me that the supply of old ballooners was drying up. I found my share but had to dig for them. I think you will always be able to find old bikes, but how many you find will depend on how hard you dig. You've got to be determined, talk to everyone you know, (and don't know) and don't let anyone that tells you the bikes are all gone talk you out of your quest. Gary
Ernie Ball the Steel Guitar player/String guy?

I built my bike about 10yr ago completely from the curb. I was to cheap to purchase something I was going to cut up and stretch out. I made mine out of a 26" and a 24". Since then it's harder to find them in the trash on the curb. The scrap metal guys must beat me to them or they're just not there. I'm sure if your willing to pay for something you could still find it. So I would have to say the "found it in the trash" market is drying up.

I built my bike about 10yr ago completely from the curb. I was to cheap to purchase something I was going to cut up and stretch out. I made mine out of a 26" and a 24". Since then it's harder to find them in the trash on the curb. The scrap metal guys must beat me to them or they're just not there. I'm sure if your willing to pay for something you could still find it. So I would have to say the "found it in the trash" market is drying up.
In my area scrappers are a big part of it being hard to find old bikes in general. I have 3 or 4 in my area that watch out for bikes for then there are those that come in the area and snag up as much scrap as they can and head out of town. Plus there is alot tucked away in attics and basements that people just wont sale. I have an aunt and uncle that are like that they have 4 bikes hanging in their basement they just wont part with, they say we want to keep them for going riding with the kids. They have been hanging there for atleast 6 years that I know of.

Back