Swap Meeting

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uncle Stretch and I attended a bicycle swap meet that was held in Houston this past weekend.

It was held in the parking lot of a fairly small restaurant / tamale place, but that turned out to be okay since there weren't a lot of sellers who showed up. It was on a busy corner, though, so we did get a lot of lookers.

While we were sitting there a guy who lives close by rode up on his Hawthorne. Paul and I were admiring the bike while he sat on it talking to some of the people at the meet. He rolled on over closer to us and was talking to someone else about the bike when we heard him say "I got some of the ideas from that Rat Rod site". That caught our ears, of course, and we then noticed that he had on a RRB t-shirt.

So Paul introduced us and he told Paul that he was hoping he might see him at the meet and that Paul was his hero and that he had followed a lot of Paul's builds. :lol: :lol: Paul laughed and said that he had never been anyone's hero before. :D

His name is John and he has been lurking on the site for a while now but plans to join soon - once he gets his intro done the way he wants it.

He rode the Hawthorne home and came back a few minutes later on his Firebike. Long, low, still in progress, but looking good already. I asked him if he would mind if I rode it around the parking lot to see how a long low one rode and he said no problem and jumped off and let me hop on. I took it for a spin around the parking lot and he said "that's the first time I have seen someone else riding it so I actually got to see how it looks. Ride it around again".

The bike rode smooth and it was fairly comfortable for me although maybe a little long to the pedals since I have fairly short legs. It was a nice ride, though, and it was fun to get to try one out since I see them before but never actually ridden one.

So we talked for a while before he had to head out to work and it was good to meet another RRB fan.

John, get that intro done and get yourself signed up as an official member!!

He's OUR hero, but I guess we can share. :D

A couple of other comments on John.

He said he loved the RRB site and used to go through it for hours at a time. He said he had finally "weened" himself down to only an hour or so a day now. :lol:

The other thing he said is that he's single - and so he works on his bikes in his living room and no one cares ! :D

RatRodDad said:
The other thing he said is that he's single - and so he works on his bikes in his living room and no one cares ! :D

It works the other way round too ............. I worked on stuff in the lounge, and now I'm single :wink:

I think I came out ahead on that deal :mrgreen:

John said that the first time he thought about bringing one of his bikes into the house to work on it - because it was hot in the garage but cool in the house - he had this feeling he was going to get in trouble for it.

Then he thought "I've been divorced for 9 years now so I can do whatever I want and no one will care!". :lol:

My two boys are aged 8 and 11 and think it is perfectly normal to rebuild bikes in the lounge.

They can't understand why mum won't let them do it at her house ...... :lol:

Of course .....when they get girlfriends and start co-habitating they may need a bit of "housetraining" :roll:

that's cool. i havent met any RRB members here in Okc yet... just big talkin wannabes with too much money to spend, ridin around on store bought customs. :?

you gotta DIY... or ya get no respect!! :)

i think i know that guy! thanx for the kind words,rrd. it was a pleasure meeting 2 fine texas gentlemen,as yourselves. if your at this sunday`s swap meet,i`ll bring over some more toys! cheers!

Latest posts

Back