Swap Over To Skiptooth ?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will it work ? Searching for some info. I have a newer Huffy Santa Fe frame and a early 50's Schwinn Starlet bike. I was wondering if anybody has had luck with switching over the skiptooth sprocket & crank set up and wheels from the Schwinn to the Huffy frame to get that old bike look without too much trouble. Thanks

Changing to skiptooth huh? Well, the front is easy, just get a skiptooth chainring (TONS for sale here). the rear is a little more challenging. You can either find an old skiptooth hub and relace your wheel, or there's a guy on eBay that was selling skiptooth cogs that you could swap out with your existing one.

Another option (never tried this personally), if you have an even number of teeth on the chainring and rear sprocket, you can grind every other one down and still run your 'modern' chain. It's kinda 'faux skiptooth'....

Good luck!

Dr. T

The one problem you may have is getting the correct chain tension. With a skiptooth setup, you have half as much adjustment in the rear dropouts. In other words, adding one skip tooth link (a double link compared to modern chain) will make your chain way longer. Taking off one double link will make your chain way shorter. You might get lucky though. Try it and you'll see what I mean. Gary

Someone is missing the point. This is Rat Rod Bikes, the whole idea is "Form before Function".

Latest posts

Back