Swap skip tooth rear gear onto std?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Is it possible to swap out a std style rear gear out to a skip tooth? I know you can find the modern style with the spring clip, but I'm asking about the older threaded style that has a nut holding on the gear.

Thanks for your input

Onewheelsqueel said:
Is it possible to swap out a std style rear gear out to a skip tooth? I know you can find the modern style with the spring clip, but I'm asking about the older threaded style that has a nut holding on the gear.

Thanks for your input

What brand hub? There are certainly skip tooth cogs around for New departure, Morrow, Musselman, and early Bendix.

Not sure right now. I can look when I get home. I have a couple sets of wheels I could possibly use.

So do I need to stay with the same brand then as far as cog to hub?

Onewheelsqueel said:
Not sure right now. I can look when I get home. I have a couple sets of wheels I could possibly use.

So do I need to stay with the same brand then as far as cog to hub?

If you can figure out how to get your existing cog off, you will see exactly what is needed. :) Many people swap the whole drive screw assembly because it is much easier to do that on some hubs than to swap the cog alone. By the way, I was born and raised in Joliet. :shock:

I've seen the new ones. I'd really like to get a Nexus 3 speed and toss a skip tooth cog and go, but that requires $$$. Lol

Can't wait to get over feeling like junk and get out to the garage and mess around again. Been a week almost. :roll:

Latest posts

Back