Sweet Find Detroit

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Check out this Schwinn 26" , could be a American , Panter , etc?? what do you think??
ck1062-1.jpg

What's the serial # :?: That will tell you the year then you can look through the catalogs to see the similarities.

No, Typhoons did not have tank tabs. Nice find, I am a sucker for a chrome chainguard. :wink:

I would say it's a Deluxe American 1962-1965. I think those were the only ones to carry the chrome chain guard that was straight like that.

I looked at the 67 catalog, it's not a Panther, couldn't find anything that came in green like yours.

It's not an American, no seatpost decal. Possibly a fleet? I don't have the catalog in front of me so I can't say for sure.

I looked again, nothing like yours came in green, according to the catalogs and spec sheets.

I'm pretty sure you don't have an American Deluxe. The Americans only came in red, black, and blue if I recall correctly. They also had a special 'American" seat tube decal. I'm almost 100% positive the green color means it isn't an American Deluxe.

Here are the models and years that also came with a slimline tank:

1962:
- American
- Fleet

1963:
- Jaguar Mark 5
- American
- Fleet

1964 Onward:
- Panthers
- Jaguars
- American
- Fleet

The color eliminates the American. Fleets didn't have chrome chain guards. Jaguars had a different style chain guard. That makes me think it was probably a Panther. And sure enough the Panther came in a variety of funky 60's colors. Here is one in a gold / yellow color:

Picture1-2.png

Notice that it has the exact same decals.

Good find :D

Latest posts

Back