Swing Thing Returned, thanks to RRB!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
About a year ago I had my storage unit broken into and one of the things they took was my custom swing bike. I figured that I would never see it again. Well about two weeks ago I got a message from todhunter that he had seen it on ebay. Then Rat Rod sent me a message too. He deleted the postings on here on RRB so that no one would contact the seller. I talked with the detective that originally had my case and he said they would try to get info from ebay, but it would take a while and might not be useful anyways. He said if I could verify the bike is mine and get an address it would help. So I contacted the seller and was able to check it out. I'll tell you it's not easy to go see your stolen property and not say something or just run off with your own bike, but I kept my cool.

Well today I got a call and the detective said they were at my house with the bike!!! It was definitely a process but I honestly can't believe that I got it back. It's hard to tell from the pictures but it got pretty trashed. The paint is totally ruined, they put bolts in as pedals which tore up more paint and bend up the chainguard, lost the locking pin, tore the seat, messed up the derailleur, and broke the brake cable. All that stuff is annoying but very fixable. I'm thinking that I'm going to rebuild it a little more simply. Make is a single speed coaster and use the rear wheel set up on a sting ray I'm putting together.

So once again a huge thanks to this community and especially to todhunter and Rat rod!

Here it is today.

a-team-t-shirt-hannibal-a-plan-comes-together.jpg

Can you share the seller info? I don't want to get caught up buying from a stolen parts/bicycle broker!
Glad you got it back without violence.
That bike belongs with its creator.

hey bro
glad to see you got you're baby back
i know where you can get that exact seat brand new if you want it
my lbs has a bunch of aftermarket parts and the banana seats are something he has in many colors.
i think they start at 30 bucks plus shipping.
lmk if you are interested i will grab one and ship it to ya
just pay price and shipping on it.
i might have a pair of cheapish pedals you can have for free if you want them.
again lmk
i know the feeling of having something built up and then having some fartnugget steal it for crack money and ruin it on you
i clicked that link that guys a douche excuse my language
karma will get him and hopefully the law as well.
i have that guy marked as y dot not deal list and hopefully he gets his share of screwing over.
good luck with rebuilding it
Sean

Hopefully, justice is administered with a enough enthusiasm to curb this guy.

hey bro
glad to see you got you're baby back
i know where you can get that exact seat brand new if you want it
my lbs has a bunch of aftermarket parts and the banana seats are something he has in many colors.
i think they start at 30 bucks plus shipping.
lmk if you are interested i will grab one and ship it to ya
just pay price and shipping on it.
i might have a pair of cheapish pedals you can have for free if you want them.
again lmk
i know the feeling of having something built up and then having some fartnugget steal it for crack money and ruin it on you
i clicked that link that guys a douche excuse my language
karma will get him and hopefully the law as well.
i have that guy marked as y dot not deal list and hopefully he gets his share of screwing over.
good luck with rebuilding it
Sean

Thanks for the offer Sean. I have plenty of parts though, and I think I'll recover the seat. After having it gone I think it'll be fun to rebuild it.

For the record....Clancy (cman) suggested deleting the posts. ;)
Then another big thanks to Clancy!!!

Was the seller believed to be the suspect who stole it, or did he get it from someone else.

Talking with the detective they don't think this guy took it, but that it was somebody he knows. Tracking this kind of stuff down is pretty tricky.

Awesome to see the community working together. The idiots that stile it had no idea that there were 10000 bike people looking out for it.

Way to go todhunter!

Latest posts

Back