Take fork apart from stem...??

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying ..its just not coming apart.

stemz.jpg

Tips .. advice..? I dont know why it dosent wanna come apart, I unscrewed everything, atleast I think.

Edit --

Buddy called me a dumb*** and said I was doing it wrong lol..back to the lab.

i cant tell from the picture, but did you unscrew the bolt on the stem? the one you adjust to keep the handlebars in line with the wheel? the wedge may be still holding it together maybe?

how did you do that... I also have taken the bolt out of my gooseneck, and now cannot get the gooseneck out so I can take the fork off. There is definatly alot of rust involved... any advice?

soak the crap outta it with WD40 or PB Blaster, let it set for a little bit the hit it with a hammer where the bolt goes into the stem into the fork

Easy E

I guess you gotta have that long bolt in, not 100% in, maybe half a inch or so unscrewed .. then I was told to wack the screw with a hammer acouple times and it should come apart..I did and it came apart :)

the bolt is already taken out... I guess thats my problem.
It will not screw in again, I cannot get the bolt to catch.

Pawel said:
thats weird, maybe flip the frame fork upside down and try screwing it in then?
Tried that too, but no go... I guess I will have to bring it to the local bikeshop... uggggghhhh

man, this thing is starting to seem impossible. I think I may just hacksaw it off, anyone have experience using a hacksaw on a gooseneck?

mono_666 said:
man, this thing is starting to seem impossible. I think I may just hacksaw it off, anyone have experience using a hacksaw on a gooseneck?

If you hacksaw it you'll have nothing to grab! But... It will give you a better shot at knocking out the expander.

Tough call. If you've soaked with liquid wrench or PB Blaster and no joy, you might try it. I'd saw as far up as possible because once you've got the expander out you've still got to pull the stem free.

I've not done this so don't have anything much more than encouragement for you.

I just hacked it off... I planned on replacing the gooseneck anyway, and I have a spare fork that will work fine(the one I hacked off wasnt correct anyway)

Thanks for the advice and encouragement, I will post pics of the bike when its done

Latest posts

Back