Tall Guys

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the tall guys, what do you do about your seat height to make the bike still look halfway decent? The most comfortable seat position for me is with a huge seatpost stickin out. What do you guys do about that? Been thinkin about goin to a lay-back.

Share your pictures and opinions.

-Alex

Because I don't like the looks of a bike with the seatpost reaching for the sky, I built myself a stretcher.
1st advantage is: it looks good
2nd advantage is: it rides good,because of the position of the pedals (in front of me,instead of down below).
Don't know if this is an option for you too. :?:

I'm 6'5" and the only way I find is turned around seat clamp,layed back seat post and seat to the sky ! Most of my bikes have this seat post with the seat up higher.
011.jpg

stoked said:
Don't have the means to do that. Maybe in the future I'll purchase a stretched frame, thanks for the input.
Any bike with seat post is behind the crankset is great for tall peeps

stoked said:
Nice thanks guys. Know of any black laid back posts?

Check eBay. There is a lot of bmx stuff that could work. Measure your post diameter and include that in your search. If you have an old Schwinn with a 13/16" post, your options are limited. I welded a 22.2mm layback post to my 13/16" post and it works great. Also, ape hangers will make taller seatpost not so funny-looking.

there is a guy here that makes them and post them for sale in the for sale section. Here is a link to his page

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59700

I havent tried his myself, but I plan to with my current project bike. Ive only read good things about the seat posts he offers

Indeed the layback post is the way to go. :D

I'm 6'2'' and can now ride some of my bikes with the layback that were previously just too small for my long legs (and bad knee).

MadMax '58 said:
stoked said:
Those are sick. Can any cruiser seat mount like that on a laid back?

Yes.... :D 8) 1/2 inch water pipe and 90 degree elbow....You may have to turn or file down the frame side....
Some of the newer frames have big diameter down tubes....Then I use 3/4 inch and a reducer elbow from 3/4 to 1/2....
Hope this helps...... :D :D

Can you elaborate on this?

Here's another pipe post, being ratty I just bolted it through the seat tube. It rattles back and forth but I only ride it up the hill to get coffee at work.

jauntydone.jpg

I don't know that it gains me much. If you moved the seat forward, parallel to the ground I don't think I'd lose much leg extension. Looks good though!

jackdaw said:
Here's another pipe post, being ratty I just bolted it through the seat tube. It rattles back and forth but I only ride it up the hill to get coffee at work.

jauntydone.jpg

I don't know that it gains me much. If you moved the seat forward, parallel to the ground I don't think I'd lose much leg extension. Looks good though!

Can you elaborate as well, on how you did this?

Back