Tallman Lane

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My current tallbike frame is made up from two 22" Schwinn electro-forged frames and the cockpit is far too cramped to be comfortable. After this realization not long into completion of it, the search was on for a pair of 26" Schwinn electro-forged frames. The Varsity landed first, via fleabay for less than a hundy shipped and though listed as a frame only, quite a few useable parts were on it, including the headset and serviceable Ashtabula blade fork. The Continental arrived a couple of years later from a friend who knew of my search and landed in my grubbies as a complete freebie. The time is nigh for a tallbike that fits! The name is derived from a street here in my little corner of Colorado, Tallman Lane.

Tallman1.jpg

Tallman2.jpg

The Continental is going to be the base frame, with the Varsity chopped accordingly. All of the braze-ons are getting cut off and the electro-forged seams that are still showing will get cleaned up, mainly for paint purposes. The current plan for fabricaton is to buy a portable oxy acetylene kit and do my own brazing, which is something initially learned in Junior HS and practiced regularly while in HS. The headtube extension/connector is going to be oversized as to slip onto the headtubes and allow a fillet braze for attachment. The steerer tube extension/connector will be undersized to allow for the same style of fabrication. The extra weight added up front will help compensate for the light front end (that my current tallbike has) and keep it stable at higher speeds. The BB/Seat tube junction idea currently is to cut a seat tube diameter hole in the top bike's BB shell and let the seat tube from the bottom frame protrude inside just enough to get a fillet braze bead on both sides of that junction.

Wheels will probably be ISO 630 36h Ukai box rims laced to a polished/silver SA S2C rear hub and something vintage and high flange to bolt onto the front.

Paint will probably be a flat black powdercoat base followed by some custom acrylic handwork in a repeating/linear manner covered by a clearcoat. There are a few ideas swimming around in my head in that light.

The rest of the build will most likely be all vintage Schwinn chrome parts. Handlebars will probably be the last thing figured out after climbing up onto it the first time.

Last edited:
Tall frames for a Tall bike on Tallman Lane!
I look forward to a pic with you about the height of the street sign.
This should be fun.

Tall frames for a Tall bike on Tallman Lane!
I look forward to a pic with you about the height of the street sign.
This should be fun.
My g/f will gladly snap a pic of me on the bike at one of the Tallman Lane signs. When riding a tallbike, it's prudent to constantly be on the lookout for places to grab onto when you need to stop. The Tallman Lane signs are good for that.

On a side-note to the above, the advent of the Safety Stop Law 22-1028 here in CO makes getting around on a tallbike easier in a legal sense.

Oh my God. If you’re gonna cut into a classic Schwinn varsity, I’m gonna cut up a Chinese schwinn just for catharsis.

Mmuuuu
Wah
Ha
Ha

Actually I wouldn’t cry except I only owned two Schwinns in my whole life: A Varsity and a Tornado and I loved them both.

. . . And I’m actually looking around for a tornado myself to cut up. ;)

I guess you'll have a bike that fits your stature! You going to get crazy and make this one a fixie?
Nope, Coaster Brake with a SA S2C.

Oh my God. If you’re gonna cut into a classic Schwinn varsity,
The Continental is geting hacked on a bit as well. They are not really dime-a-dozen, but there are still a ton of Chicago Schwinns out there which are unused, unloved and unridden.

There are currently nine Schwinns in my living room and about 20 basket-case electro-forged Schwinn framesets stored out back and awaiting resto/modification.

Around here they are all getting gobbled up by collectors.

$500 is the going rate for a crusty relic girl's bike and $900 for a men's.
$500 for a nice less-desirable Stingray.

It's the California economy. I watched a guy pay $1k for a fat bike that was selling for $650 last fall.

Anyhow you have a good hedge against inflation until they develop the atomic bicycle.
Or until people run out of cheap money, ;)

Within an hour after the above post, I succumbed to a case of Salmonella and have not been in the garage since. While not yet 100%, today is the time to get back out there and continue where I left off. That includes riding, but probably not in the dirt. /drama

Within an hour after the above post, I succumbed to a case of Salmonella and have not been in the garage since. While not yet 100%, today is the time to get back out there and continue where I left off. That includes riding, but probably not in the dirt. /drama
That’s what tequilla is for. 😀💪💪🥃

Thanks Y'all! Got out into the garage, completed a few things, rode one of the pump tracks for a while, then went for about a 15 miler in town. Feeling a lot better and riding always helps the healing process for me in anything, really.

This is where I'm at with frame assembly so far. Just enough to get a look and take a few measurements.

Tallman3.jpg

For a two-frame high tallbike, it's going to be a skyscraper. Next up is borrowing my neighbor's angle grinder to burn off all of those pesky braze-ons and clean up the seams.

I have a few chrome 27" forks as well and may use one of them instead of the Ashtabula blade too.

Kind of reminds me of the one I built back in the late 50's, seen it posted in Popular mechanics magazine..........Curt
We did the same thing as kids in 1968. We convinced some old sarge to let us into the Air Force auto hobby shop in Duluth Minnesota, where we lived on the base.
We were welding together parts from different bicycles and building Frankenbikes, Tall bikes, long choppers, Three wheeled tandems.

We did some really awful welding, but we rode those things around the base, garnering a lot of stares.

My friend kept all that stuff except one old Schwinn bike of mine, when we left Duluth in ‘69. So who knows what happened to it all. I sold my Schwinn chopper to another Air Force kid in Baudette Minnesota in 1972.

Latest posts

Back