tandem madness

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this tandem off of Craigslist for $50 last week. It was poorly spraypainted yellow, missing one seat and one pedal, the handlebars were wrapped in black tape and were caked with rust beneath and the rims were rusty. here it is as found:

330530085.jpg

I took the bike apart and stripped the paint:

330926693.jpg

I thought the yellow was a decent color but decided to paint it orange. Here it is partially painted:

330927080.jpg

The tandem was missing it's fenders but fortunately I have a pile of them in my garage so I'm sure I'll be able to find a set that fits. I'm trying to decide if I should paint the fenders satin black with flames, just satin black or leave the fenders chrome. Would flames be corny or rad? I can't decide. Any thoughts?

Great score! I would go with some flames, why not!
I am working on picking up the exact same tandem, just got the price down cause it is as rough as yours!

Re: tandem madness... fender painting

My first attempt at two color spray paitning turned out better than I anticipated. I had a few problems only because of the high humidity and I was anxious to try this. I made my own pinstriping tape by laying pieces of 1" paint masking tape onto wax paper and cutting the strips to 1/4" wide.

331462256.jpg

There are a few places where the paint cracked, but hey, it's a rat.

Back