TANDEM QUESTION

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just took possession of Huffy tandem. It is mostly complete and in half way decent shape, specially for the price, which was "please just get it out of my garage".

My question is this:

The idler pulley that goes on the bracket just behind the front crankset is missing. Can a standard derailluer pulley be used as a replacement?

If so, does anyone have a purple anodized one they want to part with? :mrgreen:

Yes on ours I just used the little plastic pulley off an old derailer. I had to rig up a bracket for it.

idler.jpg

Pic of the bike here http://locojoe.com/bikeblog/pages/tandem_orange.html

Nice tandem. You could use a grinded rollerblade wheel. I grind them in the middle almost to the bearings and use them on my homebuilt recumbents. Very smooth and very quiet. Besides, you can find them in all sorts of colors.

If you want I got a schwinn one for $10. Let me know. It comes with all the hardware. Thanks

xddorox said:
Nice tandem. You could use a grinded rollerblade wheel. I grind them in the middle almost to the bearings and use them on my homebuilt recumbents. Very smooth and very quiet. Besides, you can find them in all sorts of colors.

BRILLIANT xddorox

that was my " what I learned today" thing!
thanks,
peace,
Kev.

Thanks guys. You have answered my question and have given me more ideas at the same time.

Randy, I love the orange tandem. I may do a rattle can orange on mine. This one would clean up OK, but I am sick of red bikes.

Randy,
was the old chainguard not salvagable?

xddorox,
the idea with the rollerblade wheel is awesome. thanks.

Seeing these two tandems makes me sad we gave our old one away in my teens. We had a green Schwinn my grandparents won from a bank in the early 70's. My friends and I rode it everywhere till we moved to the Ozarks. It was way too hard to get around on such big hills.

Don't buy the wheels new, you can get a pair of Rollerblades at a goodwill store for about $5 to $10 and you have yourself 8 wheels. Mine are orange, here's one in action on my recumbent a few summers ago flying down the bike path.
ActionShot.jpg

ratdaddy said:
Randy,
was the old chainguard not salvagable?

Not in my opinion or at least not with my skill level. Was bent up and cracked. I suppose it could have been beat out, welded and bondo'd. But with the bondo I couldn't have it powder coasted like the rest of the bike.

Back