Tech: Makin a coaster brake bracket match old Brooks saddle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(I have this in my build thread, but figured it might as well go here for anyone interested..)

My bike is old, and there is something about the quality of old well made stuff that makes me smile. The same cant be said for the crappy "made in taiwan by slave children" bracket that holds the coaster brakes on my rear wheel to the frame. So I decided to fashion one up.

First off, I had to sacrifice my old work belt
Picture434.jpg

I folded it over on itself, and markered a template to cut it into shape.
Picture435.jpg

A little rough sand paper takes that clean edge down and matches it to the rest of hte otherwise patinaed leather.
Picture437.jpg

Next I had to drill a hole in it to run the bolt through.
Picture439.jpg

I used the screw and the set washer from the fender, with a nut on the backside.
Picture444.jpg

Matches up pretty well.
Picture442.jpg

Puppy is not impressed
Picture458.jpg

and there! a cool, and not too common solution. :mrgreen:
Picture455.jpg

moment of silence for the old work belt I did something like that for my bike and never
put it on .. but used new leather could not kill my old belt berry cool

Looks great, but If you haven't already, I would back that belt piece with a regular steel brake bracket. First time you slam the brakes that belt will likely tear the eyelets out.

My bike is old, and there is something about the quality of old well made stuff that makes me smile.
Agreed, I am sporting a giant grin for three reasons. One: for the quality of old well made stuff. Two: re-purposing your old friend. Three: nostalgia for my 18 year old Dickies belt.
P.S. I am stealing your idea! :wink:

Hadn't thought of that, but you guys are right. It's cold as heck around here so i haven't road tested it, but i think puting a reinforment in is a smart idea.

On a side note... I'm happy to report that even though I cut the belt down, I just realized yesterday that it still has enough length to hold my pants up. It aint pretty... but then again, when i'm in the shop, i'm not trying to win any beauty contests :wink:

Latest posts

Back