Tell me about this Raleigh

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have what I think is a 1969 Raleigh Sprite. I'm dating it from the SA hub. What I can't figure out is that the Sturmey Archer Hub says it's a 5 speed hub but the thumb shifter is a 3 speed S/A shifter. The bike seems to be all original so I don't think that the hub was switched. To confuse matters even more I have seen a Sprite on the Old Roads site that has a 5 speed hub, a three speed thumb shifter and a top tub shifter?!? What is the proper configuration for this bike? How does the 3 speed shifter shift the 5 speed hub? Help please.

taken right from sheldon's page

"The earliest 5-speed hub, a modified FW. The original S5 used two cables, a conventional 3-speed type on the right, and a bellcrank/pushrod unit on the left. The right lever/cable has 3 positions, and works as a normal 3-speed hub. The left lever/cable converts the hub from a medium ratio to a wide ratio 3-speed. Since the middle gear is direct drive, the left control has no effect on the middle gear."

manual
http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hadland/s5.pdf

Thanks for the help with this. I'll have to give it a good look and see if there is another cable or rod that shifts those last two gears. It didn't have another shifter on the bike. Interesting.

hey my buddy just picked up a 1975 in good condition.. the bike is a 5 speed but has the neck shifter(s) for a ten speed on it.
we searched the serial # from http://www.jaysmarine.com/TH_raleigh_serials.html

from everything we found it is the correct part for the bike. it just seems they were using the stock they had at the time to complete the bikes.

where was it made???
he got one that came from Ireland!

i'm going over there in a while i'll post pics of it for ya later..

edit for pics**
utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTMuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTAuanBn.jpg

we figured that maybe someone shade tree fixed it but there are not any clamp marks on the tube and no second sprocket

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTEuanBn.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAyMTQuanBn.jpg

kickstand is cool you can lower both arms independently to keep the tire off the ground or just one side like usual
he gave 20 bucks for it

My sprite is a 5 speed with a Sturmey Archer internal 5 speed hub. I checked it and it does have a spot on the left side of the hub to connect the shift cable. Apparently the cable broke and the guy never fixed and rode it as a 3 speed. I'll try to see if I can make it work by attaching a second cable and a top tube shifter? That is how it was originally configured. Odd way to do it but I guess it worked.

It's a Nottingham bike.

Here are some pics of the bike without the 2nd shifter on it. I can only assume that the previous owner took it off when it broke?

IMG00012-20090624-0702.jpg

IMG00013-20090624-0702.jpg

According the pictures on Oldroads.com there is a single shift lever that sits on the top tube. There is certainly a place in the hub where another shift cable should come out on the non geared side. You can also see that the shift and brake cables are diff colors so maybe that indicates something was removed or fixed? I'll post a pic of the hub.

resIMG00014-20090624-0702.jpg

Back