Terrible Tiger

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had picked up a old Hawthorne last winter from a friend, was a curb find.. planned on saving it for this years build-off... but I really want to go classic resto on it instead of ratting it out.. so I switched it with another old Hawthorne that has sat in my upstairs closet for almost a year now...

just going ratty as heck on this thing now... first time build off entry

the bike in the background is what I originally planned on entering, the one I am entering is in front.
2012-05-03_16-28-47_809.jpg

says it's a three speed.. may not be when I am done :roll: .. never worked on the internals of a three speed before, but rim spins free, and is pretty straight so I am running with it.. guessing it's original to the bike. Is not a Sturmey Archer as far as I can tell.. and that is the only brand that I have had any experience with... this is what is on the hub

2012-05-03_16-30-01_258.jpg

already found some donor forks from a Specialized Mt. bike, that almost match the color perfect, and threw them on... pretty simple build I think.. will prob use the handlebar set up from the same mt. bike as well.. short and level...
2012-05-03_16-28-59_935.jpg

I get sidetracked sooooooooooooo easily, let's see if I can get this thing done...

is it too early to ask for an time extension :D

Re: Hawthorne Switch-a-roo

Sweet bike :!: I like seeing what people do with 3 speeds.The hub you have is Shimano.There are places online to find help rebuilding those hubs.Check out Sheldon Brown's site.Happy building :!:

many thanks for the heads up on the rear hub... it still has the metal fold-over piece with the holes to attach a coaster brake arm to the frame. but I am pretty sure it is free wheel as there is no brake arm.

found the bars/stem from the Specialized doner bike and found a front rim in pretty much the same condition as the rear.. and extra bonus..
both the tubes pumped up and held air.. +1 :lol:

I have the original bars with the grip shifter from the Hawthorne, I may try to remove it and reuse it

2012-05-03_20-34-16_653.jpg

using some old schwinn bars that didn't sell on ebay.. like them better.. so far I am looking for a three speed ladies bike at garage sales for donor wheels..decided not to try and tackle that rear wheel after all.. it's pretty rough on the threads, and I have to practicly beat it into the dropouts.

576545_10151660289365181_732105180_24143168_617803229_n.jpg

also found a horrible seat.. but it is comfy.

also.. there may be terrible news.. the other sides threads may be shot where you put in the three piece crank, may have to look into getting it re-threaded if that's possible

if not, I may strip down the Tiger in the background and use it instead. figured it would be ok with the rules since this Hawthorne is technically the first bike I entered

well.. I am officially not using the Hawthorne.. so i am using the 64 Tiger..

here's what it looked like when i found/cleaned it..
take a good look, because it's not going to look like this any longer :lol:
Photo-0001.jpg

since I am completely tearing this down and rebuilding it I figured I am still within the rules.
just wanted to use this for the "before" shot

Re: Terrible Tiger (new bike/name)

Too bad about the Hawthorne.That is a sweet frame.At least your backup bike is just as cool 8)

Both bikes are cool. Have fun with the Tiger.

Okay, we all know there is a song called "Hold that tiger", but you gotta give us an update!!!!!
Dig down deep and find the "Eye of the Tiger" and get to buildin and updatin.
We want to know what cool stuff you have in store for this build, so you are getting the very rare Tony the Tiger Bunny back page bump.

BengalRabbit_TigerBunny_Closeup.jpg

Haha!! Sweet bike...GTB!! Peace

nothing too much to report on this build.. have most of it done.. but every time i test ride it, the rear tire goes flat... :x

newer rim, and never had an issue with it on any other bike... may have to change the name to The Terrible Tube Eating Tiger :p

Just make sure you post some of the in progress photos.
The build off isn't about the final bike, it's about the process.
We want to see the road you travel as well as the final destination.

"6. Must include before, progress, and after photos (all in one thread please)"

I have some "along the way" pics I will upload in a bit.. still deciding weather to repaint, or keep original...

I really am not doing too much with it TBH, it will be a true ratter.. all leftover parts... with maybe a few ebay finds before the deadline... all depends on how much cash i can scrape up in the near distant future :p

here's a group shot of the donor section... this thing is going to look like Capt. America's bike when it's done lol

the bars/stem/front fender are from a 1970 girls stingray, the grips are from a 70's AMF Evel Knievel trike, the seat, sissy bar, and tires/rims are generic after market picked up here and there along the way.. had to Dremel the truss rod ends and forks to fit the larger size axle on the front tire I am running now.. first time I had to use it for that.. was a bit nervous on the truss rods, as there isn't much metal on those ends to begin with
100_7432.jpg

the frameset..
so far the only thing I've done is add a Stingray front fender... going to keep the rear full size fender because this will get rode in the rain from time to time
100_7433.jpg

actually trying to use only old spare Schwinn parts.. but unfortunately, I own mostly Huffy and Hawthorne stuff.. so I need to return to ebay, or the scrapyard in hopes of a sprocket/crank..

getting a new decal set made locally in town.. think I may get it done in red lettering instead of the white

only question I have is this, the chainguard has a couple large sections of paint missing... should I cut the decal out in these areas to make it look like it went with the paint, or just overlay it on top the bare metal?

more to come..

a bonus is the crank/sprocket that was on this Tiger when I found it is a near perfect time correct setup for this build I am slowly redoing on the side
BONUS PICTURE :lol:
100_7434.jpg

got a bug up my donkey and threw together what i had

after picking up a old schwinn today I salvaged a couple things... rear rack,and all chrome chainguard... which I have to hit with some steel-wool..anywho

2012-07-27_23-02-22_591.jpg

had to dremel out the front forks and truss-rods to fit the larger axle in the front...

2012-07-27_23-07-41_694.jpg

added the newly acquired rear rack

2012-07-27_23-20-54_170.jpg

truss rods added

2012-07-27_23-27-38_577.jpg

seat! makes riding these cruisers so much more enjoyable when you can sit

2012-07-27_23-33-14_893.jpg

added the 1970's Stingray bars with my Evel Knievel grips

still looking for a sprocket from that era.. may have to do some ebaying....

Gotta love it when a rat comes together!!!

^for sure

want to ride it so badly.. may throw on another sprocket just go cruise lol

drug it out to the daylight for a better "where it's at" shot

photobucket-1746-1343585901168.jpg

Back