Testing a Bendix Kickback 2-Speed Hub

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rookie here needs some help! Is there a sure-fire way to test a Bendix Automatic 2-Speed (red or yellow band) "kickback" hub that is NOT laced to a rim? I see these at the local bike swaps occasionally but never know what to look for to confirm that they are actually operating properly. I had heard that you use the sprocket teeth as a reference point but don't know if the teeth shift in position when you manually twist the sprocket back and forth to simulate a "kick-back". Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Hold it by the brake arm with one hand and turn the cog with the other. Hold it so you can see the drive side from the side, when you spin the sprocket the teeth will spin the same speed as the hub ( the sprocket teeth will not be passed or pass any spoke holes on the hub flange) simulate shifting by hand on the sprocket, red and yellow band hubs - the teeth will pass spoke holes, blue bands - the spoke holes will pass the sprocket teeth. You may have to try shifting a couple times, if you don't backpedal it enough it may not allow it to shift between gears.

+1^
Also, just because a hub doesn't shift doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Old frozen grease will keep them from shifting. I've had good luck with loose hubs that don't shift. I can get about half of them going again after cleaning and regrease. It's a gamble, but if the hub is cheap enough buy it so you'll have spare parts. Gary

Wow! Awesome information guys! Thanks Jeremy and Gary for your help. The description of what to look for and what to be aware of when testing was very clear and understandable. The YouTube video link brought it all home. The timing couldn't have been any better as I was able to use what you guys taught me this past Sunday at the monthly bike swap and was able to pick up this beauty for my "Path-Liner" project...

It works perfectly and turned out to be the nicest 2-speed hub I've seen since I started my search for one. I can't wait to get this hub laced up. Thanks again for all your help!!
Vince

Good looking hub indeed !!! That brake arm must have gotten chromed at some point, I've never seen one looking any nicer than that one does. 8)

Kickbacks are one of the neatest bike inventions of the 60's. I grew up riding them and I'm still hooked. Gary

Back