TEXAS BIKE SWAP MEET - OCTOBER 18 (PHOTOS ADDED)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
texasswap12.jpg

Re: TEXAS BIKE SWAP MEET - OCTOBER 18, 2008

hey rat rod, itink that swap meet is the same weekend as the austin tour de fat!!? how far or how long is it to the swap? im thinking of going to the tour and could stop by if its close.

The swap meet is in Bedford...which is in between Dallas and Fort Worth.

If it's like it has been the past two years, it's definitely worth going to.

I plan on bringing a 16 foot trailer load of bikes and parts. They are all projects in the eyes of the beholders. They will be priced to move as I lost my storage space. The meet is really 1/4 mile west of the old location. We just relocated the bike store earlier this year. Kevin [email protected]

1 month to go.

I saw this ad in Craigslist. It is a bicycle swap meet, not a "vintage" swap meet:
First Annual Bicycle Swap Meet hosted by Owen Weber's Bicycle Farm Sunday Sep 28 at 3301 Elm. Call for more info Fred 214 728 1365 / Owen 214 516 5215

I've also seen a couple of ads in Craigslist for the Austin Frankenbikes event, but they're not pulling up at the moment. Seems to be a monthly event.

Yes...it is a vintage bike swap meet...that's just about all that's there.

It's put on by the Vintage Bicycle Club of Texas.

Here's what we're talking about...

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7

Had a good time at the swap meet today....TONS of bikes to be had.

Saw a few familiar faces and sold about $200 worth of parts that were sitting around my garage in boxes.

The deal of the day was an old Elgin that someone was asking $135 for. Someone finally bought it and got a cool bike (first photo).

IMG_3220.jpg

IMG_3231.jpg

IMG_3215.jpg

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3219.jpg

IMG_3221.jpg

IMG_3222.jpg

IMG_3223.jpg

IMG_3224.jpg

IMG_3225.jpg

IMG_3226.jpg

IMG_3227.jpg

IMG_3228.jpg

IMG_3229.jpg

IMG_3230.jpg

IMG_3214.jpg

IMG_3218.jpg

IMG_3211.jpg

IMG_3232.jpg

IMG_3233.jpg

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3235.jpg

IMG_3236.jpg

IMG_3237.jpg

IMG_3238.jpg

IMG_3239.jpg

IMG_3240.jpg

I can't think what these things are called- think it's from the 1930's. You bounce it up and down to make it go.
Proc_3442.jpg

This was the neatest little homemade pedal car, made from two bike frames. The frames straddle the edge of the "hood", so one foot pedals outside the hood and the other foot inside. There are two steering wheels, but the right one is a dummy; the left one steers both wheels. Some thought and effort went into making this!
Proc_3443.jpg

I saw this mounted on a bike. I assume it's just a place to carry your flat-fixing stuff, etc. But is this something that was ever factory-made for this application? Or did somebody just mount a container on their bike?
Proc_3444.jpg

This pedicab was on Craigslist a while back, I think. Interesting to see how it was made. It was a KW bicycle, double-bar frame. The rear appears to have been some sort of rickshaw that was cobbled onto the bike. But if you'll notice the geometry, the rickshaw part slopes to the front severely- doesn't really look useable for passengers as-is. That bike would likely have been worth a pretty penny had it not been made into a pedicab.
Proc_3445.jpg

Yup, that's it, googled it and read a bit more about it.

I noticed it said the inventors tried both an eccentric rear wheel and an eccentric front wheel. There is currently a "bounce bike" on youtube that uses an eccentric front wheel.

This bike was hilarious....should have taken some video.

The hubs are laced in off center so that it bucks up and down as it rides along.

A guy was riding it around yelling..."YEEE HAAA!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:

IMG_3239.jpg

I really struggled about whether or not to buy this bike.

It was totally mint and was barely ever ridden. All original except for the tires.

I even rode it around and it was perfect.

My only concern was that it was an 87 model made by Giant...not so sure of the quality.

Wondering if that would have killed the resale value or not.

IMG_3224.jpg

Back