Thanks for the addiction

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the addiction. I was browsing the web a few weeks ago and stumbled across a picture of a Felt Deep 6 and had to have one. Once I got over the sticker shock, I found a local dealer and a week later I picked it up. In the meantime I found this site and was really impressed by the creativity of the builds. What you guys are doing is right up my alley. I've always had a couple bikes around but never gave much thought to customizing one. So after some hunting I acquired a Hiawatha Strato Chief frame and went to work. It will be a work in progress and I'm sure there will be more after this. I have a laundry list of things I want to do to it. I've been riding it as much as I can since I threw it together which only took a couple hours after I had all the parts. I don't have much spare parts around so I've been hunting for local sources. The local bike shops suck. Found a collector not far from me and he had a lot of the little things I needed to get it ride-able. I definitely need a couple more gears. I think a three speed hub will be one of the first things I do to it. The seat is high but I'm 6' tall and it's uncomfortable otherwise.

I'm open to comments and suggestions. Thanks again!
Derrick

Frame: 1960's Hiawatha Strato Chief
Bars: Soma Lauterwasser
Front wheel/tire: 26" Felt cruiser 50mm / Maxxis Holy Roller 26x2.20
Rear wheel/tire: 24" 3G 57mm / Maxxis Holy Roller 24x2.40
Seat: Schwinn (temporary)

To do:
3 speed hub (or more)
Laid back seat post
Leather grips & seat
Some simple mods to the frame
Small brake levers
Disc brakes

HiawathaStratochiefV1_01.JPG

HiawathaStratochiefV1_02.JPG

Welcome aboard.
That chainguard sets the tone for that build.
BRAVO!

Hope to see you in the Build Off starting May 1st

Check out member @slowriderz for a layback post, he can make pretty much anything, super strong and a good price.

Luke.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

Welcome aboard.
That chainguard sets the tone for that build.
BRAVO!

Hope to see you in the Build Off starting May 1st

Yeah, gotta keep the chainguard. Lots of character in it.

Might try to put together another frame I have for the build off. From the rule change thread I just read, this one's not legal.

Even with the old rules, builds can't start until May 1st. Look forward to seeing you in BONINE. It's a blast!

We are all enablers here!

Ya yo babe....nice ride. Welcome to the rat-a-tat-tatathon..... Three speed? Sturmey archer or Sachs Dreigangs are a good start..Three-speeds w/coaster brakes rule!!. I'll be watching for a conversion...:39:
IMG_1872_zpsbb8a853a.jpg~c200

Back