Thanksgiving Moab Trip

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Every year for the past 20 years I make a fall trip to Southern Utah. It usually is right before Turkey day. For the last 10 years my wife has been going with me.
Here are a few pics from this years trip :mrgreen: One of them shows a pretty good sized buck that we spooked up on one of our rides. Kind of crazy seeing deer in the desert, there were about 15 or so and we rode right into the middle of them.
moabmisc054.jpg

Heres my wife, on her left is a 1000 foot dropoff with the colorado river far below.
moabmisc060.jpg

This ride is called Bartlett wash, pretty easy ride but the smoothest slickrock. Like a giant skatepark :D
moabmisc036.jpg

moabmisc021.jpg

Very nice, haven't ridden there in 15+ years your pics remind me I need to get back. Lived in Tucson for a few years, hunting the area around there those desert mulies can get huge.

I am used to seeing deer in the mountains at home, but this is the first time I have seen them in Moab.
You could tell that they don't get shot at though :) They just stood there and looked at us.

Moab is a cool place. We went for a couple of springbreaks in college. That was when the Trek and Scott suspension forks were hi-tec.

Awesome! Great pics, too -
Man, I love that place. We went two years ago as part of a trip to Bryce Canyon, Arches and Canyonlands Parks. FINALLY did my first full circuit of Slickrock - at 50! It was the beginning of September (hot!), so we got there at the break of dawn to beat the heat. Wow, what a ride. Hardly saw a soul on the whole thing, but had a BLAST. What a cool terrain.
Here's a pic of me after the ride that I couldn't resist adding here - soaking wet, exhausted, and completely jazzed at finally getting to do it, and then finishing the whole thing:

2007Nov073.jpg

:mrgreen:
(I ate the most incredibly huge breakfast I've probably ever eaten after this at a cafe in town! )

cman said:
That was when the Trek and Scott suspension forks were hi-tec.
Careful Cman you are giving away your age.
I had one of the first Scott mountain bikes and it had a spring fork. No dampening of any kind, like a pogo stick...Boing...Boing.
Now I have 7" of cushy travel and 8" discs, my old .... is thankful for technology.

Hammond Eggz said:
FINALLY did my first full circuit of Slickrock - at 50!
Better late than never :wink: I am glad you got to check it off your list. I am 48 and i hope to be able to enjoy my bikes for many moons.

Just thinking back it was probably closer to 20 years, early 90s anyway, had a fresh Answer elastomer shock bought aftermarket that I put on my Bridgestone MB-1 or 2. Nominally probably 1.5 to 2" travel at most great for fire roads oin the socal mtns but the problem I found out there was on some of the rock dips the shock elastomers would collapse so far the tire would hit the arch killing momentum for the uphill side, or making for near endos going down, made for some dicey situations. The new stuff is so much better, even my rigid 29er would be preferable out there to what I had then.

Back