The AMF Hercules

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, this afternoon, I decided I wanted to play with bikes.

I got this AMF Hercules for free a few years ago, and rode it till the tires popped. This summer, I put on some new whitewalls and tubes and have been riding it around ever since then. I've been looking at it and it seems like it could be cooler somehow...

Here's what it looked like prior to today:
SSPX0543.jpg

I've posted pics of it in a few places around here.

I was just taking apart an old huffy and looking through some bike parts, and I found some straight bars and removed the fenders and chainguard. I think it looks a lot more racy now, and I like the look of it as of now. This should hold me over till I tear it down and rebuild it entirely in the near future.

Here it is:
SSPX0546.jpg

SSPX0547.jpg

SSPX0548.jpg

SSPX0549.jpg

was looking for them for the longest time, and ran across a company online in California called Junky Rusty Bikes. $15 for both tires, and $5 per tube, with a few bucks for shipping. I probably have around 30 bucks into the tires and tubes.

Here's another before picture that I found on my phone that serves as my desktop background:

SSPX0535.jpg

me and some buddies rode up to the local "Hamburger Hill" as we call it. We had shakes from Arby's behind McDonalds :)

SSPX0534.jpg

hehe, we'll see... one thing I do know is that the 49 year old grips on the original chrome bars weren't coming off in one piece. I can see where someone took a nice sharp knife to try and get them off. I had the black grips on another bike that I'm not using at the moment, that the seat also came from. I'm liking the black look of the bars and seat so far though ;)

I'll be riding it like this till I get my guitar finished, then I can tear this thing down and get to rebuilding and all the joys and sorrows that go along with it :D

Ok. here's probably my biggest project going on right now.

Its a 50's style telecaster that I put together from parts. I figured I could buy a new MIM Fender Tele for around $500, but then I'd have to upgrade it and all that with what I wanted. So INSTEAD, I decided to make my own out of what I wanted. What I end up with in the end, is an instrument made in the USA, with all the cool parts I wanted, all the work done by myself, and still cost me only $500. I didn't do any woodworking whatsoever, just bought the parts and assembled/finished them. My current project is getting the body in finish, then I'm calling it good and working on my bike :)

this is the very first pic of the teardown before finish:
SSPX0461.jpg

Back