The Amsterback V2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Amsterback V1

ronnyclicks said:
does the chain pop off the front sprocket when in the lowest or highest gear? i see that is a single speed sprocket

Yep, it did, I took a file to the teeth on the sprocket and cured that issue!

P.S. Scored some V-Brakes from DoneOne last night (the ones on there were always trouble). Time to tear them apart, 'antique' them and upgrade this baby!

V2 coming soon!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Very cool bike. Great colors and choice of tires. I like it alot. :p

That is one hideous green there Dr T. Yet completely appropriate and really cool. I dig the brown and green as it looks super ancient now. Wrapping the Britbars is a super class touch as well.

What brand and color is the green? Is it the all purpose Krylon? Also digging them chushy brown leather grips, where'd you score those?

Yeah, I like the earth tones together.
The paint is Krylon's Camouflage Fusion, Olive Green, with green self-etching primer under it. I don't know if the primer color has any effect on the final color, but I typically try to use a complimentary tone. The finish of the paint is flat, but I top coated it with satin clear and ran 0000 steel wool over it for a 'soft' look.
fusion-camouflage.png

As for the grips (and seat too), they are the Bell 'Cruizin' line that were sold at Walmart. I just cut down the right one to accomodate the GripShifter.

Cheers,
Dr. T

Well, almost two years later and V2 FINALLY! It only took a couple of years.

The upgrades/changes for v2 are:
I switched the tires from the Schwalbe Fat Franks to a set of cream Continental Retrorides. The Franks were just a little too wide and were rubbing on the derailleur cable. It's OK, got plans for the Franks... :roll: and these are a great quality tire. Like the Schwalbes they are 4 bar/60psi tires. The tread has a true vintage look to it , it's a replica of their KKS 10 tread.
P1070022_zpsa1653799.jpg

Compared to the FFs, will clear that cable now!
DSCF3751_zps5a5ed624.jpg

Upgraded the old school canti brakes with some V-brakes (painted flat brown for an 'old' look)
DSCF2775.jpg

DSCF3752_zpsb3d44462.jpg

Switched out the oversized cruiser bars with some simple riser bars (I'll wrap them in the brown cloth tape soon). Got some Origin8 Pro-Corkie grips coming in the mail too.
DSCF3757_zps59145d8e.jpg

Swapped out the old OCC crankset (it was bent, had the wrong pitch on the chainring and were garbage! :mrgreen: ) Installed a set of 170mm Shimano cranks with a proper chainring.
DSCF3755_zps815a727c.jpg

Still love these Odyssey pedals!
DSCF3756_zpsa6825a85.jpg

As it sits now...soon,no more tummy, soon... :roll:
DSCF3753_zps657a6e72.jpg

I've fabbed up this chainguard from some aluminum L-channel I got at Home Depot. I think it ties in with the rims and stem. Just have to fab up some mounting brackets.
DSCF3758_zps1bda9fec.jpg

DSCF3759_zpsb87264e4.jpg

I'll probably put the truss rods back on and get a black bullet headlight.

V1 looked nice, but just didn't function properly, I look forward to putting some miles on V2.

Hope you like it.

Cheers,
Dr. T

I like the way you painted the V brakes. I have never liked the look of them but that really gives them a better look. Nice.

Great work tank!

The grips came today.
DSCF3762_zps964519f2.jpg

Installed them, put the truss rods back on and wrapped the handlebars and top bar while I was at it.
DSCF3763_zps0ab964b4.jpg

DSCF3764_zpsb2e04b11.jpg

Took it for a spin around the 'hood, rides nice, now maybe I should get an old Brooks 72 for it.
DSCF3770_zpsa09751e3.jpg

DSCF3769_zps9dceefd8.jpg

DSCF3768_zps9b0ba199.jpg

DSCF3767_zps2a799753.jpg

DSCF3765_zps788b4943.jpg

DSCF3766_zps4cbff19a.jpg

Other than the saddle, gonna call this one done, for now,

Cheers,
Dr. T

Back