The Aristocrat - Updated 7/22

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
This is my newest project bike. It started as a parts bike, as it had a bad fork. Found a perfect Huffy fork and front wheel sitting in the neighbors trash. Crazy, huh?

They also had a front brake, lever and some old Union rubber block pedals for my Pacific cruiser. I'll get around to doing some photos of that soon.

66bsqq.jpg

All I need is a rear hub. Luckily I spotted an old Bendix wheel hanging from the exhaust fan of a local burger joint. I knew I would have a use for it eventually.

I would kinda like to find a really nasty banana seat for it, but the current seat is a riot.

BTW, this thing is surprisingly light. Like well under 20 pounds. Should make for a fun ride.

Re: Ratty Enough?

The bike trash gods have been very good to me. The greasy burger joint Bendix was gone, but I found a Sturmey Archer AWC 3 speed coaster hub on the way to work. Courtesy of a woman's Schwinn Collegiate.

2vknnew.jpg

Shifter cable was broken, but I got all three gears to work using a clothespin on the gear indicator chain. Which is a good tip, btw.

11vmek2.jpg

This bike is coming together almost by accident. Now I need to see if my Shimano 333 shifter will work with the SA hub, which I'm pretty sure it will.

fly3x3.jpg

Re: Ratty Enough?

I had some time off today, and the weather was beautiful! Out for a quick coffee and doughnut. Then it's time to see if the Shimano 333 shifter will work with the Sturmey Archer AWC.

I still can't believe some one just pitched this. Thanks!

fd5yrq.jpg

After running some new shifter wire through the old white housing. Things are starting to look good.

2ll11n8.jpg

Umm... yeah... I think I remember how this came apart. Should go back together just the opposite, right? Between the Sturmey and Shimano parts, I had everything I needed.

j7uec8.jpg

Finished product. Works like a charm. Gonna ride down to the Asian Mart, I'm outta sushi rice and soy sauce. Might get an eel too. Any one like unagi don?

For those still reading: I am going to call this bike The Aristocrat. You know, Monark, the little crown, the 3-speed from Her Majesties Kingdom.

30usbo9.jpg

Back