"The Bishop" - Done!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "The Bishop"

justride said:
I am blatantly ripping off Bean with his dual stems on Bareknuckle Brawler - that was a beep build.

7533163640_5824d19d18.jpg

No worries.............I ripped the idea off from a few European builds I'd seen :D :D :D .......In fact I like the concept so much, I'm using it again this year as well!!

Your bike is looking great!!

Re: "The Bishop"

This is gonna look sweet.
Have fun in paradise!

Re: "The Bishop" - Finally mocked up!

After a week off, I am finally back at the build. I was at the bike shop right after they opened, and while they were missing one of my stems, I was able to make a lot of progress today. The paint still needs a bit more polishing, and some touching up, so I worked on that for a while before turning toward to new parts. I needed to install the headset, so I whipped up a little tool using a threaded bar, some big washers, and a couple nuts. Worked like a charm. Once they were in, I installed the crown race on the triple trees, and installed the bottom bracket cups while I was at it.

Once those were in, I threw on the forks, the new banana seat, and the half of my handlebar setup, the new wheels, and the Thick Bricks. I'm finally starting to see this thing come together - cafe racer anyone?

7572346352_0bca8ee87b.jpg

I'll take more pics of the build tomorrow, but I wanted to get around to building up the rear wheel. I bought a super cheap rear wheel - it was actually cheaper to buy the complete wheel than it was to buy a rim, the spokes and the nipples. I have a Nexus 3-speed hub on my stock Felt rims that I wanted to use on the new wheelset, so I had to take that set apart. Taking things apart, as we all know, is remarkably easy, and quite a bit of fun!

7572270302_3403d678d4.jpg

It was so fun, I took apart the new wheel too.

7572271084_32ff60fe5f.jpg

The wheel that I stripped down had black spokes, but silver nipples. I really wanted the all black look, so I hit them with a quick coat of black.

7572270644_99d23f4915.jpg

Building the wheel is pretty easy - especially with a little help from Sheldon Brown. Took a few minutes to lace it up, another 20 or so to tension it up and true it. I started off trying to get it extremely true, but after a beer or so, I figured it was good enough.

7572271400_6ded60f594.jpg

So now the wheels are done (well, aside from some nuts that are unaccounted for at the moment), so tomorrow I will finish up some polishing and should be able to get the cranks on. I need to decide what I will do with the sissy bars - I was thinking conduit, but it may be a little too robust...

A few more pics - with the trees cut.

7572629644_ba1f81984e.jpg

I went back and forth on the Thick Brick v. Fatty-O's, but I like the look of the brick tread on this bike.

7572630102_8ac5e81382.jpg

The new stems are looking pretty good - but not sure if these will stay above of below the top crown. Need to get the other stem to see... Great thing about the stem, it came in black with no logos and a polished aluminum face plate - perfect.

7572629366_f631de7d2a.jpg

7572629116_07b3fd1a43.jpg

Looking sweet man!!!
I need to put on my shades. 8)

This is awesome...I can't believe how shiny it is!! :shock: :shock:

Re: "The Bishop" - Not really sissy bars...

I didn't have a lot of time to work on the bike today, and I'm missing a couple wheel bits and the left stem, so I missed my goal of riding her around, but I did do a little work on the sissybar. I will probably have to pin these together somehow so they aren't so flexy, but they do the job for the most part.

7580544744_90b1fe95d4.jpg

The setup is pretty basic - 1/2 inch weldable tube, with a couple shaft collar rings and a shiny spring in between them. This is totally cosmetic, but I'm kinda feeling this look - maybe paint the tube black, and leave everything else nice and shiny...

7580545230_c5acd2ab24.jpg

Thanks for all the compliments! This has been fun, if not a little stressful at times. Thank God for beer... :D

Now that's sweet!! That shine is krazy! GTB!! Peace

justride said:
This has been fun, if not a little stressful at times. Thank God for beer... :D

Cool sissy bar!

It's funny how many builders are using Beer as their motivator juice for their build.

Simpsons---Got-Beer-Poster.jpg

Re: "The Bishop" - Feeling a little shifty...

I got home from work today, and found this in my mailbox. This thing cost more than my wheels, but it's well made, and will look sweet with the polished aluminum tank. Still not sure where to mount it, but pretty sure it will be the down tube.

7588107802_aa59e6d199.jpg

Once I stopped drooling, I decided to make my sissy bars a bit more permanent. The bars are made from 1/2 inch steel, and I wanted to flatten the ends and screw them in to the mounts on the frame. I decided to head to my metal shop, and flatten them with my hydraulic press, but I remembered I don't have a metal shop or a hydraulic press - but I do have a small vice and a hammer!

7588108764_9ed91ea882.jpg

And voila!

7588109168_e91434b4b5.jpg

I hit it with an angle grinder to round out the ends. Note to self - don't grind steel in flip flops...

7588109556_1f60998d65.jpg

Anyway, after this, I grabbed a Lagunita's Undercover Investigation Shutdown Ale, then it got dark, and I forgot to take anymore pics, so I will have to add a few more tomorrow.

Very funny, I can just picture you dancing around when the sparks flew.

How was that Shutdown Ale? I bought one in a build your own 6 pack, but haven't tried it yet.

All Lagunitas beer is great.I'm partial to the .... Bike is really looking good,that tank area is rad.
-Kreep-

Not a lot of progress yesterday, but I did get the sissy bars mostly done. I still need to install a little bridge between them so they don't rock, but I am seeing that as "optional" at the moment.

I had to change my plans a little - initially I had mounted these inside the saddle, which looked cool, but the Thick Brick was rubbing on them, so I had to adapt the design a bit. I also polished up the steel and will spray some clear on at some point to hold back the rust.

7603337546_6ba60254e4.jpg

I took it for a little spin around the hood (yeah, with only half a handlebar), and as much as I wanted the saddle slammed, I also have to ride this thing, so I raised it a little, but the lines still work and I slide all the way to the back of the banana seat and it will be perfect for trips to and from the bar/store/etc.

7603337924_920fa0b8d9.jpg

The other stem should come in today, then I need to get some pin striping, then install the shifter, finish polishing, touch up the paint... The end is in sight.

JA

You should rename it "One Armed Bandit" 8)

I'll tell ya, it's frustrating. I ordered two super cheap stems a couple weeks back, got one, and have been waiting... and waiting.. for the second one. Well, at least I got the sissys cut, so I dont have two 1/2 inch tubes poking me in the butt while I ride one handed up and down the block.

Maybe it will come in tomorrow, but I am thinking their distributor is out of stock. I may have to Internet this one...

Re: "The Bishop" - Still a "One Armed Bandit"...

I have been assured by my local bike shop that my stem will be in before the Shiny Side Up show this weekend, so I am taking that on faith and pushing ahead with the build. I got some work done over the weekend and a little this evening, but just got around to taking pictures tonight -and they are not great, so be warned.

I got a few parts in the mail the past few days. One of my design criteria for the build was a bottle opener integrated in to the design. Tuggnuts - the greatest chain tensioners ever made. Solves my problem with this Felt frame and the drive side always sliding in the dropouts, and, with the built in bottle opener, I'm always prepared. :D

7641594940_625a21e84d.jpg

7641595236_96e9c5efdf.jpg

With my bottle opener in place, I was able to get my Shifty ....... installed. I was planning on installing this on the down tube, and still may, but I kinda like having it behind me, especially when I am sitting back in the Nanner. The zip ties are temporary... I also put some darts on the frame to give a little contrast where the paint meets the polish.

7641595602_eb84cc3453.jpg

This is a cafe racer style ride, so I have been working on a cafe racer cockpit a little bit. Yeah, the second stem is kinda critical to the look, but you will just have to use your imagination a bit. I modified an old basket bracket to install the speedo, and I think once the bars are done, and the light it installed, it will look pretty good. I am toying with internal routing with the speedo cable, but we will see if I have time.

7641596430_ff4a1a11af.jpg

My headlight is on the way - it's somewhere in California, so I should see it in a day or two. In the mean time, I think it's about time to start touching up the paint and polishing the tank. The end is in sight...

Re: "The Bishop" - Still a "One Armed Bandit"...

Just put a bottle holder for you sumpin sumpin on the left side and keep it as the one armed bandit.

Latest posts

Back