The Black Pearl

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say that I love this forum! Everybody here has inspired me to push myself to do something that I had never done before..build my own custom bicycle. It all started when I saw the "Electra 8 Ball" when I was in Nags Head for vacation. I really wanted that bike but I wasn't about to pay $600 for it..not to mention I would've been in the dog house if I did. So I started looking around on the web for custom bicycles and found this forum. That was when I relized what was about to happen..I was going to build a stretched rat bike.
I started out w/ a Huffy Cranbrook cruiser that I snagged off CL for $50.
stock.jpg

I went ahead and cut the seat stays(?) off the frame and taped the pipe and seat post in place just so I could try and plan what I was about to do.
quickmock-up.jpg

I didn't really know what I was doin, just kinda figuring things out as I went. I had never done this before. I did realize after looking at the bike on the table with the tubing taped in place that I wanted it a stretched a bit longer, then i could also make the seat a little lower too. So I broke out the welding mask and got to work.
2010-07-03_1839.jpg

2010-07-05_2115446.jpg

Finished welding everything and slid the front fender on the rear wheel to see what it would like with a bobber lookin fender, still not sure if I'm gonna use it or not. We'll see!
2010-07-08_2115807.jpg

Oh I also took the original tubing that came along the frame from the seat stays and welded one of them in the center of the frame just to add a little something to that empty space.
After everything was completly welded I started working w/ some fiberglass and bondo. I grinded down the welds that needed it and started molding everthing in to clean up the lines on the frame.
bodywork.jpg

After everything was primed it was time for paint. Decided on flat black for the frame w/ gloss red for the sprocket...
2010-07-23_1613046.jpg

And, of course, gloss red for the wheels
2010-07-24_1214249.jpg

After everything sat to dry for a day it was time to start putting everything together and take it around the neighborhood for its first unveiling. I have a headlight on order right now and a new seat and grips in my truck that i just picked up from the local bike shop. Still need to find a set of pedals that I like. But here she is!
ratbike.jpg

2010-07-24_1610410.jpg

And here is the custom head badge that JEZUSJONZ from this forum made for me. If you haven;t seen his work, then you have to check him out. He does some awesome work and it felt good to help out a fellow customizer..LOL! So a big thanks goes out to JEZUSJONZ for adding that little touch that i was looking for..u did a fantastic job and it turned out better than I expected
badge.jpg

2010-07-24_1610445.jpg

Sorry that the pics aren't the greatest, I was taking them w/ my phone. Once I get everything on there I will be taking some better pics w/ my camera. It won't be long..I pomise!

thanks for the comments guys. i got a new seat and grips for it and my headlight came in this past saturday. all i need are some new pedals but i just haven't found a set that im real crazy about. **UPDATED PICS SOON**

deorman said:
How's she ride, Clyde?
i'm actually really impressed with the way she rides..pedals smooth too. i was afraid that as soon as i rode it the chain would pop of b/c something would be outta wack due to the fact i didn't have a jig, but everything is straight as can be.

nosferatum15115 said:
its a realy nice bike, but it seems quite fragile in the rear
well so far so good. i've been riding it all around the neighborhood and the sidewalks aren't the smoothest..no cracks or breaks yet.

Latest posts

Back