The Blue Brit and custom lucky 7

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all-

I've been wanting to get a laid back seat post made for the Phillips bike I have (my daily rider to and from college), but have no access to welding equipment. I'd really like to have the 'lucky 7' style with a bit of a brace fitted, sort of like this shape: (pardon the rough drawing microsoft paint, it's just for shape)

IMG_0574.jpg

Here's the bike by the way:

IMG_1641.jpg

Please let me know if anyone could help me out, and what I'd owe ya for the job. I will gladly supply measurements :D

Thanks a million,

Re: Any welders out there who could help me out?

check ebay, search for bmx seatpost. You'll have to ask the seller what the diameter is though.

also check your local body shop. say hey can you weld this in trade for this 6 pack.. body guys like beer too.....

I'm not sure where a 'trustworthy' local weld shop is, the area I'm living in isn't the best to explore for that...

I measured the post, it's 1 inch into the frame and 7/8 inch into the seat

The problem with the posts I'm finding for sale is they seem to be 7/8 inch all around. Hence, my dilema of probably needing to get one welded specifically for my ride. Any takers?

Didn't dig out the camera till i finished mitering the 7/8 tubing stock, but here is the project.

First thing was that it was great to have a good plan!

Then I transferred the angle on to a piece of scrap wood and made a jig
DSCN0654.jpg

DSCN0655.jpg

Tack the 7/8" tubes together, working from side to side
DSCN0656.jpg

After a bit of clean up with the bench grinder
DSCN0657.jpg

Fortunately i had just enough 1" exactly steel stock that sleeved over the 7/8 nicely
DSCN0658.jpg

Weld that on and clean it up..
DSCN0659.jpg

Time for a gussett, what to do...what to do....
DSCN0660.jpg

Ground the wobbles out of my hack saw cuts and added some notches into each side of the gussett to ensure lots of welding surface.
DSCN0662.jpg

Ta Da!
DSCN0663.jpg

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
BRILLIANT!!!

I am totally amazed at how this turned out, it's far cooler than I ever imagined.

Thank you so much Walker!!!

I'll post up some pics of it installed on the bike when it arrives :)

Re: Awesome custom lucky 7!

Sorry for the delay in pics, I've been swamped lately. But I've been riding her since monday, and WOW what a difference! I'm 6' tall, and that bit of lay back in the post makes it incredibly more comfortable. I tilted the bars down for a better position withthe new post.

A shout out to Walker's skill, he's a phenominally nice guy and talented craftsman, and I couldn't be happier :mrgreen:

IMG_1658-1.jpg

IMG_1657.jpg

IMG_1656.jpg

Back