The BMX bug bit me again

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After about a year hiatus of riding (medical problems, laziness) I decided to build another bmx bike to ride the skateparks in the winter and trails the rest of the year. Don't ask what this cost me, you don't want to know.
My pile o' parts
bikes087-2.jpg

S&M's new printing technology, pretty wild
bikes089.jpg

Does this sprocket make my hand look fat?
bikes088.jpg

9 tooth rear cog
bikes090.jpg

Titanium spindle
bikes091.jpg

Pushing 22 pounds without pedals, definitely liking the weird 80's look
bikes094.jpg

Wow...that does look like fun!

I was just on that website today and was looking at their catalog.

Cool looking ride. :D

Odyssey twisted PC pedals are available in white or clear red and weigh 14.5 oz.

PEDALGRIP-thumb.jpg

Just a thought...

It's the newest version of the S&M Dirtbike, the frame, fork, bars, stem, sprocket, and seatpost clamp are S&M. I'm waiting for the company to release the seatpost clamp with the pattern on the sprocket. Not sure about pedals, wanted to go with S&M platforms but they don't have any in white or yellow right now.

man that pile of parts looks like Christmas! nice.

That bike looks to have a 21" top tube and S&M XLT bars are 8"+ rise, should be fine for a grown adult.

That "colorway" would not be my choice, but it is an awesome bike, I have to make do at the skatepark with a Hoffman EL1 that I built up with junk parts. Still, I like new school BMXs better than old school ones for actually riding.

I'm 5'10" and have always ridden 21" frames and 8" bars. I like my frames long in the front and my bars high and wide, I hate how kids set up bikes these days, tiny frames and bars so they can do barspins and whips with just a bunnyhop. Most kids these days are only interested in street and small skatepark obsticles, GIVE ME DIRT AND LOTS OF IT :D

Oh yeah, my age. Let's just say I'm a kid at heart with the medical problems of a 60 year old. Bad back, knees, shoulders, and vertigo at the age of 28. I'm definitely a more cautious rider now.

I'm 42. The top tube on my Haro Sport was about 18.5", and I think looptail "P.K.Ripper"s were even shorter. The last old school bike I had was Boss XL Pro, and it was 20"tt. The Hoffman is 20" but I am looking at the Haro Convert and the FBM Panther and Exodus, both 21". Not sure how wise it is to get back into it at this time but whatever.

Definitely go FBM if you build a bike. One of the few handmade frame companies left in the USA, I've owned a couple. They are heavy but will take anything you can throw at them. I've just been waiting for the new dirtbike to come out and I love it. S&M and FBM are the 2 best companies left in my opinion, almost every part is made in house by hand in the usa. I hear 42 is the new 30 :D Never too late to start riding again.

Very very cool setup...I did a Race Inc. in white and yellow about a million years ago- definitely got lots of looks back in '81.

You are NEVER too old to start riding again, or for the first time for that matter. I just turned 46 yesterday, I ride street and park all the time, and our first state season qualifiers are tomorrow. I race a Standard 125R cruiser, a Road Kill 20" Pro in 41 and over Expert, and my park/ street bike is a Standard 125 Bicycle Motocross.

Get out there and ride!

that thing looks nice. how are you going to decide what to ride? Between that and your Dolan, how will you find time for your lemon Krate?

It's good to hear of 40+ year olds still riding. My goal is to never have to settle on a cruiser, nothing against them but 20 inchers are my first love.

I intend to have at least one of every bike, keep things interesting. The lemon gets its fair share of duty, somedays you just gotta go out and ride some wheelies.

Oh, I have a cruiser too.

When I say I started riding again I mean specifically BMX tricks. I got back into bikes about 6 years ago when I moved to Portland and built up a fixed gear bike.

necessaryevil said:
Definitely go FBM if you build a bike. One of the few handmade frame companies left in the USA, I've owned a couple. They are heavy but will take anything you can throw at them. I've just been waiting for the new dirtbike to come out and I love it. S&M and FBM are the 2 best companies left in my opinion, almost every part is made in house by hand in the usa. I hear 42 is the new 30 :D Never too late to start riding again.

I'm considering the Haro because I was a Haro man BITD, and the brake posts, cable guides, and gyro tabs are removable, and it's $200. I was considering the Freestyler re-issue but they dropped the ball and did only the downtube in CrMo. Yeah, I know where their bikes are made. The Convert has almost identical geometry to the Panther, and that's my main criteria. Both bikes are similar to the Hoffman, except an inch longer, which seems to me should be perfect.

Back