The Burrito

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I was reading the Burrito thread the other night and decided, may as well build one of those, they look fun. So i chopped up a cheap mountain bike a got to building. Of course, i got carried away with building and forgot process photos but you get the idea. It took me two afternoons to complete and it gets plenty of attention riding around the neighbourhood from young and old. Here it is:
Rolling Mock-Up.
IMG_20121222_143539_zpsec0603e1.jpg

IMG_20121222_143606_zps44ad533a.jpg

Finished.
IMG_20121225_174754_zps226b4b5c.jpg

IMG_20121229_143907_zps9a566555.jpg

IMG_20121229_143927_zpsc0788651.jpg

Not sure whether i should paint it or leave it as is, might just ride it and have fun with it. :D

Thanks guys, pretty happy with how it turned out, and it rides pretty nicely too. I should probably take the old BB out.... Completely forgot about that, too excited to ride it :D

nice build dude! 8)
where do you live with all the trees n green grass ?
were stuck in the middle of winter here :cry:
i cant wait for summer to continue my building and riding!

KOTA said:
I'm guessing you live in Australia...Here's something I did a few years back to cover up the old BB.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff182/KOTA777/02.jpg!

I reckon your right with the Aust guess, intro is titled G'Day, and I see a rotary hills hoist in the background of some of the pics... Possibly New Zealand also?

So, Mr Mechanic, where abouts in Aust are ya? Im guessing somewhere in mountain country? Just looking at the type of plants that are growing... Plus here where we are on the farming plains of Victoria its a lot drier already, no one has green grass here at the mo...

Kota, that bb treatment is awesome! Brilliant idea!

Luke.

That's a rad idea for the bottom bracket KOTA, hope you dont mind me borrowing that one :D Im in the Perth hills, Western Australia, pretty bloody hot here at the moment but I love the summer and riding bikes in the sun. That Hills Hoist has been there ever since i can remember :D

Re: The Burrito (De-Railed)

Just a quick update guys, whacked a derailleur on the burrito so I can haul ... uphill too now :D Used a skateboard wheel to route the chain under the frame and made a jockey shifter for laughs. Some pics:
IMG_20130104_150939_zps6a3ce288.jpg

IMG_20130104_151004_zps72adccae.jpg

IMG_20130104_151011_zpsed85a9e9.jpg

IMG_20130104_150949_zps38c0b2cf.jpg

The Mechanic.

GREAT job! Looking at your first pic of the derailleur, it looks like you have a "little" to much chain. In that gear the derailleur should be almost perpendicular to the ground. It always takes me a little while to figure out the length of chain to get it to shift perfectly. Here's a pic of the last one I did. I remember taking out TWO more links after this pic was taken.
http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff18 ... /013-6.jpg

Getting bikes with chains that long, to shift right, can sometimes be a challenge. But once you have it set right you won't believe how fast you can go.....NICE job!

KOTA said:
GREAT job! Looking at your first pic of the derailleur, it looks like you have a "little" to much chain. In that gear the derailleur should be almost perpendicular to the ground. It always takes me a little while to figure out the length of chain to get it to shift perfectly. Here's a pic of the last one I did. I remember taking out TWO more links after this pic was taken. http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff18 ... /013-6.jpg
Getting bikes with chains that long, to shift right, can sometimes be a challenge. But once you have it set right you won't believe how fast you can go.....NICE job!
Awesome pic, glad you added the link, going to have to set up a derailleur on my build soon, was not sure where to start... As to the bike... well, you would not want to lose that front steering chain going down a hill into traffic would you! :shock: I'm guessing you have that covered though...

Mr Mechanic, your bike is simply awesome! I want one!

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Awesome work!

Is that the handle of an old file used on the shifter?

Luke.

The shifter handle is actually an old handle off the back of a piano used to wheel it around. Dad used to restore pianos so he has plenty of old goodies laying round. The main reason i put gears on the burrito was so i could make a jockey shifter :D Thanks for the kind words Luke. :D

KOTA said:
GREAT job! Looking at your first pic of the derailleur, it looks like you have a "little" to much chain. In that gear the derailleur should be almost perpendicular to the ground. It always takes me a little while to figure out the length of chain to get it to shift perfectly. Here's a pic of the last one I did. I remember taking out TWO more links after this pic was taken.
<a class="vglnk" title="Link added by VigLink" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" href="http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff182/KOTA777/013-6.jpg"><span>http</span><span>://</span><span>i239</span><span>.</span><span>photobucket</span><span>.</span><span>com</span><span>/</span><span>albums</span><span>/</span><span>ff182</span><span>/</span><span>KOTA777</span><span>/</span><span>013</span><span>-</span><span>6</span><span>.</span><span>jpg</span></a>

Thanks for the advice KOTA! The bike is shifting alright but could definately be better, ill remove some links from my chain and see if it helps! :D That bike is sick! Love the steering setup! I tried a similar skateboard wheel setup but the chain didnt line up with it very well so i had to put it underneath.

wimpy said:
Definitely COOL!!!! 8) Gonna throw some paint on?

Not sure about paint... It does say in the burrito bicycle rules they aren't allowed to have a nice paint job... Any ideas?

Thanks for the support and help guys, really nice to have a community that appreciates custom bicycles even if they are a little ratty like mine :wink:

My skateboard wheel has a groove machined into it, so the chain sits in it ,not on it. Would work either way, above or below the wheel.

Mine has the groove in it too, its just that when i mounted it in the old BB it didnt line up properly with the chain and would fall off when i went over a bump, so i had to weld it on under the frame and closer to the chain line. :?

Latest posts

Back