The Camp Swampy Cruiser

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My practice bike went pretty well, so now its time to make something that counts.

swampy1so8.jpg

This is a Schwinn Jaguar 7 speed I bought a few months ago with a cheap handlebar swap done last week. A new (wanna-be retro) bicycle may make some people here cringe, but I'd rather save myself the parts-hunting headaches until my second big build :wink:

I love the military bobber over at Chain Gang Lowriders, so I'm using that as my inspiration. The name "Camp Swampy" comes from the Army base where Beetle Baily takes place. That comic strip has an old-time look while still taking place in the modern world - which is a perfect comparison for this anachronistic cruiser. A repro Monarch double springer fork is on the way (which means bye-bye to the front brakes). Once I have that, its time to get a quart of aircraft remover and repaint everything flat olive. The chainguard will get custom "Camp Swampy" vinyl decal in WW2-style stenciled letters. A vintage rear rack flanked with surplus paratrooper bags, hairpin seat, chrome pedals, and redwall tires should finish it off.

In the long run, I would like to change the twist-shifter to a stem-mounted lever. But since this is a seven speed and the levers I've seen are made for five or sixes, I'll have to do some tinkering. Once that gets figured out I will change the handlebars to something more swept back.

I just picked up a 50's Road King girl's bike that I'm parting for this build.

roadqueenoh0.jpg

The rear fender and rack fit almost perfectly. I love the bare-metal hairpin saddle, but its an old thin solid post mount - about 5/8" in diameter. I'll have to be creative in converting that over (or just get a new one and have the old saddle re-uphosltered for the eventual Road King project :p )

I finished this months ago and completely forgot about posting it.
34.gif

campswampyes5.jpg

Back