The Classy Beach Commuter

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, this one might very well get disqualified, it's cost me an arm and a leg so far and I've also altered the frame... :)
Living in Sweden, a country where there's just no cruiser history to speak of, I've had to import a lot - mostly from Germany and Holland, but sometimes from the US even.

This is my first cruiser, and the first bike I've done any modification to.

Anyway - this is what I started out with; a $200 bike from Biltema.
27-1018_l.jpg

Looks really bad imo :)

Now, tearing of those horrible decals does make it a little nicer though:
oBCHp.jpg

First thing I did was to make a mockup. I knew I wanted saddle bags. (Then somewhere along the way I realized that "hey I can fit a battery in one of those bags.. :) )
aX6g0.jpg

So, off to the blacksmith! I came back with this (and somewhere around here is when my Brooks saddle arrived):
4lEcz.jpg

DSGKq.jpg

Ordered me a pair of courier bags, turned out like this:
WE7Gb.jpg

Still, the bike's looking kind of boring really.
Tried adding lamps to it, as well as painting the handlebars and the chainguard, but still felt something wasn't right though:
wmxNv.jpg

So anyway, the control box for the electric engine needed a box, which I first thought maybe I should build a tank for, but instead opted for a box between the seatpost and the rear fender (here I've also added the motor):
LgZRw.jpg

Finally the new tires arrived (got a little help from Maja guarding all my stuff :) ).
bBDk4.jpg

Now we're talking:
lUeB6.jpg

Soldered away some connectors:
jckDR.jpg

Added some street sweeper fenders:
yGIQt.jpg

That's all for now, gonna add my new basket today.

id5000 said:
Well, this one might very well get disqualified, it's cost me an arm and a leg so far and I've also altered the frame... :)
Living in Sweden, a country where there's just no cruiser history to speak of, I've had to import a lot - mostly from Germany and Holland, but sometimes from the US even.

Holland doesn't have a beachcruiserhistory either.

yep, I think the motor will definately cost you points when voting, other than that you're building one sweet bicycle. I absolutly love that rack set-up. Almost a shame to cover them up with bags... But I think you should put vintage-looking leather bags on it. As long as you're spending money on it... Just to compensate the busy looking frontend.

Good luck and have fun.

That's true - but then, Holland is such a bicycleloving country. Sweden, not so very much.. :/

As for the motor - I wouldn't want to have to ride 36 km each day without it :) (at least, not a cruiser anyway.. :) )

"Well, this one might very well get disqualified, it's cost me an arm and a leg so far and I've also altered the frame.."

You're fine, you just welded stuff on, didn't alter the geometry of the frame.

I have to say that the color combination looks really good. The white tires, the long fenders, and the brooks saddle all set it off so nicely! Finally, I really like that rack!

Thanks so much for all the kind words, much appreciated! :)

So I mounted the basket this afternoon, turned out so-so. Thinking about cutting it down a little.
Here's what it looks like atm (Findus saw I was about to take a pic - the little guy loves being in pics.. the egos of my cats....) :
L709Z.jpg

Back