The College Chik

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This bike was given to me by my girlfriend's father, who had it hanging on the outside of his shed:
1974819854_4737a193f9.jpg

He honestly couldn't remember where it came from or how long it had been hanging on the shed, but most of the components were entirely rusted through, the chain snapped off in my hand. The frame was spotty with rust, so I thought I might attempt my first repaint job. I started by trying to strip the frame, but we picked a bad day to do it, a chilly day in November:
1994313444_14d015cb46.jpg

The paint stripper didn't really work for me, although it worked on Killmore's Varsity. Mine was left yellow, but now with splotches of brick red primer showing through. I should have just left it as it was, but now I am going to just go with it as it is.
I had originally thought I would just turn it into a single speed road bike. It was equipped with 27"s, but I thought I would throw a set of 26" road wheels I had sitting around. Then I got my hands on a free pair of 26" coaster brake cruiser wheels with balloons that hold air, and thought might look better as a Ratrod. I also threw on some mini-apes from my sister's old bike, the Schwinn Lil Chik (seen above on the left, the pink bike also being stripped). So when I put them on a 73 Varsity, it becomes the College Chik:
2139903865_086ef00a57.jpg

Like an average college chick in real life, The College Chik has already changed identities a couple times, trying to figure out what to do with her life. This is just a mock up, using a banana that was sitting around. The only problem with this is that the wheels don't really fit the frame. I have almost no clearance in the rear between tire and frame. On the front, the problem is that the axle diameter is too wide for the narrow dropouts opening. It seems like it would fit once all the way in, but I don't want to mess up the fork or the wheel trying to force it. Can I change the axle on a wheel without re-building it? Or maybe just get a springer...
2139905041_2df9a84713.jpg

2139905613_da83b8662e_b.jpg

I put the crank on for this one. I ended up putting it together with a 26" road bike wheel in the front, just to see how it would roll.
2140692644_e36a3a3bb3.jpg

Obviously I am pretending to pedal here, because there still is no chain! But it coasted down the street pretty well with some momentum. I have to go pick up a new chain, as well as a gear for the coaster that will fit the chain size I need for the crank, since it's the original 10-speed crank minus the larger gear. And I still want to get that cruiser wheel on the front somehow. This may be an excuse to go by the springer fork that a guy a know has been trying to sell me for a while.
I was disappointed that I couldn't actually get it cruising for real just yet, but I am hopeful that it will come together soon, and be ready for "graduation" to the mean streets.

Hey Joey, it sounds like you really wanted to paint her. Get some sand paper and sand your brains out. Half the fun of building is solving the problems you come across. A springer and a new paint job would look great! It looks nice going down the road, even with the skinny front tire.

Looks like start of a nice bike. I have a schwinn 24in frame that I am doing a banana seat, lil apes and brand new 24in wheels. I have a springer fork that you may be interested in.. Pm me..and keep us posted on the bike!

Could a moderator kindly move this to the bike builds section? I was new to the site when I started this thread and didn't quite understand the difference. I have plans for this bike still, they have just been put on hold while I work on bigger and better things...

if ya do get a springer, i believe the headtubes are shorter than the guys bikes theyre usually made for so you may need to do some hackin too. nice ghost pedalin too btw, i didnt notice til i read it. :lol:

Ya might run into a chain problem with a coaster rear sprocket and a 10sp.front.

1/8"-3/32"?

It looks cool and comfy.

if you really want to strip it go to walmart and get a can of aircraft stripper
its an aerosol foam, itll sting if you get it on you but itll wash off
wear eye protection and dont eat it
itll take the paint right down to bare metal in under 10 minutes

Back