The Crusty Pistachio

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Super cool. I like both forks on this one. A front drum might be cool too. Love this bike!
Thank you. I really wanted the red fork to work. But it just didn’t do it for me. Also this bike has been a go to that I can lock up when I go out and not be so hyper concerned about. Considering the fork was more than double the cost of the frame, it kinda took away from that.
I considered a front drum. I have a few, but none matching to the rear. Also, I dig that the front wheel is as built in the 80s. And it already has brake rub.

Was able to tension and true the wheel today, and get the tire mounted. Turns out I didn’t have an 18t freewheel handy, so I had to order one. Once it shows up I can get the wheel on the bike.
2966E0F3-6E05-47F5-9F9F-539C3F7AEA77.jpeg

Got tired of waiting on the freewheel to arrive. Decided I could borrow one from my On One-
89FE951F-4529-403C-B9A7-01066141055D.jpeg

Because the rear brake cable is one piece, not to be cut, I had to swap up the brake levers to ones with barrel adjusters. Got the rear lever on, rear wheel installed. Threw some zip ties for a test ride.
9A24F38E-C0E8-46BE-A1D7-058DA7813DFC.jpeg
6674C6FF-0950-4B54-B7C9-9BC15E796BAF.jpeg

Almost there. I’ll get the other brake lever on, and proper cable clamps (no zip ties).

I’m a lil bummed on the ‘82/‘83 brake levers, but all good. Still keeping it ‘79-‘83.

Found a few minutes today to pretty much wrap things up.
Still thinking of a few options, but happy with it as is for the moment.

Rounded up proper cable clamps. It’s a personal pet peeve when cables are just zip tied to a frame. The chain stay clamps are gettin tough to come by.

50B7908C-04C2-467E-816D-BA5126FC6D6B.jpeg

F805752A-EB5D-4DA9-A8DC-CBCF102FCE8E.jpeg

42AA1842-7911-4F56-A0FA-9D64C8DAEA4A.jpeg

I think I’m going to explore ways to make the rear brake cable shorter. Not digging the extra length. Being as the cable is all one piece, I didn’t want to cut it. But I’ll see if I can’t find a barrel nut forcthe end so I can shorten it to a more proper length.
Rides nice though! Stoked on the hand brake conversion and the slightly lower bars

Last edited:
Looking great. I have used these in the past. I also used a chainring bolt with a Standard bolt inserted into it. I drilled a hole through the chainring portion so the standard bolt would pinch the cable inside. adjust bolt length accordingly. It worked fine until the realmdeal arrived. https://www.ebay.com/itm/3824245292...8qSb09XSZq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Yup! Ordered a few last night. I have other hubs I’m going to need them for as well. Found them for $4 elsewhere too

Winning photo right here...trim on the garage and vines bringing out the green /blue hues, the metal door and bike patina...spot on!

View attachment 220210

Great work Dizzle!
Thanks OddJob! I plan to get some proper pics once it’s ‘done done’.

I was concerned with wheel slip under load. And I prefer an old style chain tension with a Bajo bolt. The ones I have were too short for the longish Laguna drop outs. So I asked a buddy to make me one. One washer, bolt, and a few mins later-

DD218E11-C0C6-441C-9AF4-62D69B012FA0.jpeg

The card in the spokes reminds me of when I was a kid we would use a clothespin to attach a card to a fender bracket. The sound was pretty cool. And if you could attach a balloon to the bracket, that made really cool sounds, but didn't last long!

Latest posts

Back