The Dakota Bandit...is finished......

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Dakota Bandit "Small update" not much

Thats just awesome! Even better than a barn find cus you know the history of it. You should incorporate something off the Silver King into your BO bike. It'd be cool if there's a pic of your grandmother on it from 30+ years ago.

Oneuglybike said:
It's been laying there next to a river that has been over its banks many times for at least 30 years that I know of! :shock:
IMG_1000006353.jpg

Re: The Dakota Bandit some fauxtina.......

Hey all, well I tried faking some patina on my new "made in china" 24in wheel. I really wanted to run this fat tire, but wanted the rim to somewhat match the rest of the bike. :| So I gave it a shot, I may have to come back and try something else on it.
IMG_1000001643.jpg

IMG_1000001650.jpg

IMG_1000001653.jpg

IMG_1000001648.jpg

didn't seem to turn out to bad, although it doesn't really match the front very well. :? But all in all I kind of like it! :)
IMG_1000001655.jpg

IMG_1000001661.jpg

I have a springer fork coming ( yay for evil bay ) so I hope that will work out for me!

I picked this up at a friends house, his wife was using it as yard decor! :shock: It's a Hawthorne skippy!!

IMG_1000001633.jpg

IMG_1000001634.jpg

Just wanted to show that one off! :lol:

Re: The Dakota Bandit some fauxtina.......

Your build really is turning into a work of art!!!
Just the right amount of faux tina.

Nice score on the garden skippy too.

Re: The Dakota Bandit ....Starting Over.

Well, I am still here, just haven't been able to do much with anything! :cry: I was drawing a blank! :?
So anyway I decided to start over..........I wasn't going to paint anything, but with all these awesome builds going on I just have to! I also ordered a "Eastwood Mig 135" so once I get that and figure out how to plug it in........... :lol:

I hope to be able to add a little fab to my bike so it's not so boring. Just a few pics of the new start!
IMG_1000001670.jpg

IMG_1000001671.jpg

Decided to rebuild my wheels, starting with the front one now.
IMG_1000001676.jpg

I know, it's not real exciting stuff, but I think when I get it all cleaned up and assembled it will look nice! :wink:

I hope you didn't paint the tank.
But either way, I am sure this is gonna be a cool build!
Welcome back. Now GTB!

kingfish254 said:
Welcome back. Now GTB!

No, I am kind of thinking of making a wooden tank. Keeping the original as is, even if I use it I won't paint it.

Oneuglybike said:
kingfish254 said:
Welcome back. Now GTB!

No, I am kind of thinking of making a wooden tank. Keeping the original as is, even if I use it I won't paint it.

With all the wooden tanks this year, I think there is a homicidal lumberjack bunny on the loose!

lumberjack324.jpg

The Freaky Bunnies are getting hungry for an update!!!!!!

bunnyteeth.jpg

I'm so far behind it's not even funny!! I'm not throwing in the towel just yet though!!! If I can get it assembled tomorrow and button up a few things I should get her done!! Believe it or not I have been working on it quit a bit, sadly the finished product probably won't show my effort! Haha! I hope to post up some pics tomorrow!!!

Alright, another Zombie waking up from the dead!!!
Gitchazz Buildin Cuz Times a Wastin!!!!!!!

Re: The Dakota Bandit...mad dash to the finish!!!

Whew......man, well finally some pics of things! Since Kingfish seems to be the forum "cheer captain" of sorts, these are mostly for him!! :lol: Sorry no crazy bunnies to post. :cry:

IMG_0987.jpg

Well, I started over, I wanted to clean up the frame a little. The drop outs were cracked, the down tube was broken off at the bottom.....just for safety sakes I decided it need some fix'n!!

So I don't know how to weld, well I am broke but I managed to scrape up some funds and bought myself a "Eastwood 135". Seems to have some decent reviews and most importantly it was affordable.
IMG_0839.jpg

Yes, these are the worst welds in the entire world!!!!!! :shock:
IMG_0840.jpg

But I found out I am not to shabby at grinding!! :D
IMG_0841.jpg

a little bondo a little primer ..............not to bad :roll:
IMG_0992.jpg

I thought I would make my own seat.....I cut up two banana seats to make one, well I save everyone the horror of that welding process!!!!!! :cry: and get to the half way finished seat that I still don't know if I am going to use.
As of a couple days ago this was sort of the direction I was heading......

IMG_1271.jpg
IMG_1280.jpg

While at O'reillys auto parts, I spied some stainless steel spray paint.
IMG_1278.jpg

IMG_1279.jpg

IMG_1281.jpg

Need to decide on handle bars still..........and obviously button up the rest of the odds and ends, but I am confident that I will at least have it done by this friday!!!! :D :D :D

Well.........as of today I guess I am heading in another direction..........After some sanding, wet sanding, re-spraying, sanding and some more wet sanding I cleared everything and did some more wet sanding. Actually doesn't look to bad in person! :lol:
IMG_1639.jpg

as of today this is where I am at. I kept the original paint on the tank and chain guard also the rear fender. I think it looks pretty good with the silver!
IMG_1642.jpg

IMG_1643.jpg

Great progress!!!!
Run Forest Run!!!

that stainless steel paint is like the best stuff in a can.. i love it.... LOOKING GOOD BRO !

Well, I suppose I am done........... I wasted so much time that I really didn't get to try and do some other things to it. I like it how it turned out, but it's not terribly comfortable to ride! :?

I suppose it's a little better than last years, but.......... :cry:

I had to fashion up a couple things, I used a miners helmet light and hid it in the tank
IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1722.jpg

I took an old wrench and fashioned a bracket out of it for my little devil guy.

IMG_1731.jpg

So other wise I decided to run the larger wheel in the front, and gave it a horrible rattle can black paint job.......I ran out of paint 3/4 of the way through. I decided not to put any more money in it!!

The most expensive thing was the ornament. Which someday I hope to use on my VW.

But here she is.......... I just need to take some nice pics tomorrow and post it in the finished section.

IMG_1757.jpg

The Dakota Devil Booger turned out great!!!!

Latest posts

Back