The devil made me buy it... and pictures at last!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had last told you guys last week that I had given in to temptation and bought a Schwinn Breeze from Walmart on-line (because my local Walmart is partial to ordering Cranbrooks :( ) and told you that when I had picked it up and put it together, i'd shoot some pictures your way. So, here it is...

DSCN3586.jpg

DSCN3587.jpg

As soon as I got it, I realized it was a left over 2011 Breeze (no suprise there :roll: ), but I actually like it better than the one I saw on-line (I think painted alum rims vs plain alum rims and maybe the color, too). Had to buy some new grease from my LBS and regrease everything, knowing how they come with barely any grease, if any at all. But once I was done and rode this bike, i was hooked :mrgreen: . Now hear me out guys, I know it's a new bike and worse yet it's from walmart and made in China, but for judging a bike blindly (age and country of orgin ignored) this is a cool bike. And for only $150.

Put about 10 miles on it today, breaking it in by riding to work at 4 in the morning. The ride, positioning/stance and comfort of this Schwinn is one of the best i've riden in a long time. Love the colors, dig the red tires and allready used the rear carrier today. Now, i'm gonna go for a ride. Hope you enjoy!

Good deal!..I was in K Mart last week. They had a Mongoose commuter bike, aluminum frame, rear carrier, fenders, 7 speed cassette, all on 700c tires and wheels...$99. I looked at my wife and said: "I don't know why I bother building bikes!" I couldn't build a better bike for that kind of money....Same with your bike. You couldn't build one better for $150. GOOD DEAL.

As far as how would I rate it and it's components, we have to keep in mind that it is a Pacific Cycle product. It was bitter sweet when I checked out the owners manual with the "Schwinn" logo all over, just to see Pacific Cycles logo there in the corner as well. Once you get over that and the fact it was purchased at Walmart and isn't American built, you can't help but to really like this bike.

It has some generic Falcon stamped coaster brake that came with just a smear of grease, probably why the it was loud when coasting and sounding (and feeling) "dry" when the brake was applied. Bought that good grease from the bike shop and did a total coaster brake old school pack job and it still feels kinda cheap, but is smooth and quiet :D . The grips are actually good repops of your standard late 50's early 60's Schwinn grip and are the best feeling grips i've seen latley. The frame wwelds are good and consistant with everything decently straight and frame geometry lots better than any cranbrook i've ever bought.

I was thinking I was going to have to replace the seat, but as campy as it looks, it is super comfortable with no "numbness" or uncomfort from a bad seat. The rims are aluminum, just painted and after everything else got regreased and rebuilt, I have no complaints of workmanship, so far. Definatly got a few modifications in mind. Was gonna do a nexus 3 speed conversion, but once I feel in love with the painted wheels, that idea went on the back burner. Was gonna maybe replace the handlebars, but i like them too.

Anyways, thanks for checkin it out. Its got alot of potential, I just need to find a direction to go.

I like the tire and rim colors. I like that they've tried to resurrect the truss rods. I'd ditch that rear reflector. The grips ARE good, I've got a set of those new ones.

I wish somebody would start producing the full length, fat, balloon fenders again!!!

For the money you can't go wrong. You're up and riding.The red tires really make it look vintage.
I don't know why they named it a Breeze. That was a girls lightweight back in the Schwinn era. Go figure.
I'd put a Hornet or a Panther decal on in it if I bought one. That's just my two cents.

Ya know, I thought the same thing, but tied it to Joe Breeze (o.g. mountain bikes era) and at least took off all the saftey stickers. I think it's Schwinn trying to resurect some of the old modle names of their "golden era".

I was happily suprised when I saw the wheel and rim color key coordination, thinking they were just gonna be your basic aluminum cruiser wheels. I am color blind, so my wife had to break it to me that it wasn't a shade of green, but rather matte grey. Either way, it looks good to me. And if Walmart has sold out on these on-line, I wouldn't be suprised. When they had the "Walmart associate" :roll: , take it out to my friends truck, he whined about how since I bought it on-line, THIS Walmart doesn't see a penny. So I responded, "Maybe if YOUR Walmart sold or at least would special order one of these Schwinn Breezes, i'd probably have bought it off the rack the first day you had it."

Quality so far had been very good (and i've had bikes of all types, including $2,000 off road racing bikes) in general and since i have greased everything, the more I ride it and break it in , the better it rides. I want to ditch the rear reflector and either get an older style round reflector or even a bullit style tail light (*got one for sale?, PM me :D *). And the carrier helped carry my LUV's master cylinder, backpack and coat, and the two new tires for my 68' Schwinn Racer. But don't get me wrong, I really like this bike, but love classic American steel. :mrgreen:

I really liked the truss rods on this one so I called PC and they sold me some. They had to sell me forks too as it was one part in their catalog but they gave me 40% off, So I appreciated that. Problem is I forgot to mention I needed the hardware too. Could you post a close up of the truss rod brackets? I want to see if I can find some older ones that might work before I call them and they want to sell me the rest of the bike to get them. Thanks for the great review btw.

heyslugger said:
I really liked the truss rods on this one so I called PC and they sold me some. They had to sell me forks too as it was one part in their catalog but they gave me 40% off, So I appreciated that. Problem is I forgot to mention I needed the hardware too. Could you post a close up of the truss rod brackets? I want to see if I can find some older ones that might work before I call them and they want to sell me the rest of the bike to get them. Thanks for the great review btw.

No problem! Will have some picts up later tonight. Will get top and bottom picts.

Here are a few I got for you.

DSCN3590.jpg

DSCN3592.jpg

DSCN3591.jpg

I don't know all that much about truss bars, except that they look cool and add more CHROME to my bike, which in today's world is sadly lacking. And at the bottom they just bolt into another set of threaded eyelets (similar to ones used for mounting the front fender brackets to the front fork) above where the wheel nuts are. Looks like one could even take the big old front reflector mounting bracket (think like 80's and early 90's) that sandwiched inbetween the headset nut and washer on the steerer tube, and drill similar holes it it for a mounting point for the top of the truss rods.

I hope these picts help out and let me know if I can further help out. :D

That is EXCACTYLY what I was looking for. I really appreciate you taking the time to snap and post those for me. If I end up rigging something up I'll put a pic up and let you know how it shakes out! Again, great review of the bike!

Glad the pics helped :D . I tried to get it at all angles. I really dig them as they do add a nice accent of chrome and class to this very modern classic. I will have to look into when and why truss rods came into play and if they serve any function other than cosmetic and style. look forward to seeing the picts when you get them done.

Heyslugger,
How did you call and order the truss rods?? You're post isn't very clear on that point. I'd like to order some bars too. Thanks

Tailwinds said:
I wish somebody would start producing the full length, fat, balloon fenders again!!!

Wald 962s don't cut it? I've seen longer ones, but not much longer...and the 962s are much longer (with an extra set of braces, both front and rear) than the ones you see on this new "Schwinn" and morden worksman, etc...

Here's some on my Worksman INB:
232323232%7Ffp635%3B3%3Enu%3D8%3A%3A%3B%3E733%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D34%3A33532%3B934%3Anu0mrj
>$30, at your LBS (If they're honest). Available chrome-plated or powdered black
-rob

Back