the dream is over aka: i killed my limo

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so some of you will know that i recently bought a limo/stretched cruiser and have been loving it...
well this weekend i broke it! and i just got the new bars and headset and grips on as well!

check the pic and see if you can spot what ive done...
WFSTeQnNEpsse2p9ZqM9HaNq

:cry:

Seeing as you have your foot on it to keep it from falling over, and I'm assuming the kickstand length was right before....It looks like you bent the rear chain stays and it made it lower in the back. If thats the problem looks like an easy fix. :wink:

Uncle Stretch said:
Seeing as you have your foot on it to keep it from falling over, and I'm assuming the kickstand length was right before....It looks like you bent the rear chain stays and it made it lower in the back. If thats the problem looks like an easy fix. :wink:

yeah the whole rear end has moved closer to the seat.

this is how it started life:
WFSTeQnNEp61rpea26nR8XCwo1_1280.jpg

i actuall like how it looks bent but the chain is hitting the frame in two spots now!

if you have any ideas oh how to fix this and stop it from happening again im all ears...i love this bike...

check out the story at my bike site http://dicebandits.tumblr.com if u wanna

Looks like to me you could take the back wheel and fender off....Put a car jack in between the two sets of bars and jack them apart. Then weld a piece of flat bar stock fairly substantial in between them where it cant bend again. Something like 2'' wide and 1/4'' thick. Can pick some up at lowes or home depot ,usually comes in 3' lengths for about $10 or so.If you weld it on the side closest to the seat post and kinda curve it a little you can put your fender back on.

Uncle Stretch said:
Looks like to me you could take the back wheel and fender off....Put a car jack in between the two sets of bars and jack them apart. Then weld a piece of flat bar stock fairly substantial in between them where it cant bend again. Something like 2'' wide and 1/4'' thick. Can pick some up at lowes or home depot ,usually comes in 3' lengths for about $10 or so.If you weld it on the side closest to the seat post and kinda curve it a little you can put your fender back on.

yeah thats kinda what i was thinking to...

i dont wield tho...i wonder how much an engineer will charge me?

oh and i dont run the fenders so dont need to worry about that clearance

You ought to be able to find a welder that would do it for cheap . Alot of times those guys will do simple fixes for some beer.

Uncle Stretch said:
You ought to be able to find a welder that would do it for cheap . Alot of times those guys will do simple fixes for some beer.

that would be sweet...do u think it will fix the problem? im worried that it might just bend somewhere else?

crappy buzz!

role with the punches. add anoter bar to prevent it from bending more. (make a triangle below the seat)
and add a bigger rear sprocket or chain tensioners to deal with chain/frame clearance.

i like the way it looks also.

if ya bend the frame to straighten it, your just gonna fatigue the metal even more.

we can rebuild it. we can make it stronger than before...

*cue 6 million dollar bike music*

i think i'd try two straight pieces going from the dropouts to the seat tube, then either leave the original tubes as they are or cut out what would then be the middle tube. not immediately sure what i'd do for brakes, but i think i'd make it a 5-7speed with a cluster and derailluer. i think that chain line would clear the bent frame.

what i'd really try (especiallyif it's too far gone) is to cut the whole rear end off and try to graft the rear end of a suspension mountain bike on it. maybe cut it right behind the seat at the top, and cut the bottom tube right where it splits to go around the tire. just eyeballing it ('cause i'm just looking at the pic so don't go by my estimates), with those cuts it looks like the rear triangle from a cheapish mountain bike would weld in and sit just right (that would provide a rear brake too)

Add gussets between the upper and lower stays so that it stops sinking, an idler wheel or simple rub plate for the chain, and throw the kickstand in the parts bucket. :| Or (I would) snatch all those nice parts and stick them on an old thrasher. :wink:

bigblockthing said:
idler pullies and a few gussets my friend

yeah...i think ur right...i love how it looks atm...
i think i might bend it out first tho as id like to get the seat lower and i couldnt do that at all with it bent like it is

it does look cool tho...hmmm

I've had my local muffler shop weld stuff for me in the past. Very reasonable, good welds.

Latest posts

Back